How do I deal with an AR nut?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skyrocket":3taa6bex said:
JessicaR":3taa6bex said:
But yet they eat at McDonalds and other fast food places all the time. I just dont get some people :lol:
WHAT? :x I can't even wrap my head around that one.

JessicaR":3taa6bex said:
I did talk to her and basically came to the agreement that she will keep her thoughts to herself, about animals and i will allow my daughter to go over there. I could tell she wasnt very happy about it but for now the peace has been kept.

At least peace is being kept, no matter how disgruntled your neighbor may be.

I mostly lurked here because I really couldn't find the words to voice what I had in mind. Also, I would be thrilled to drink "normal" milk. I stuck with the alternative cause I'm lactose intolerant and Lactaid pills don't do squat. Soy milk does my tummy well but I do quite miss real dairy. When I do stray from my lactose free products I get unbearable stomach cramps but it's usually worth it. :|

Sort of like my brother, he's gluten intolerant yet eats bread almost everyday. My mother, who is the same, doesn't eat bread or wheat products at all.

JessicaR":34putvpb said:
Sorry I have been absent for so long, had computer issues :x

Anyways, no her bringing up milk wasnt a nice conversation, she point blank told her that milk was bad all pus, and their calves are starved to death, thats why they drink almond milk only. Now I dont know if she was just telling my daughter this because she wanted her friend to eat with us, and she wanted to let her know that they dont eat certain foods? But yet they eat at McDonalds and other fast food places all the time. I just dont get some people :lol:

I did talk to her and basically came to the agreement that she will keep her thoughts to herself, about animals and i will allow my daughter to go over there. I could tell she wasn't very happy about it but for now the peace has been kept.

I'm glad that you found a way to keep the peace - I hope she honors the agreement!

Just a different perspective, but I'm not sure that drinking almond milk at home means someone shouldn't eat at McDonald's. We eat as close to 90% organic at home as we can, and I use coconut milk (lactose intolerant), but when we are away from home we just eat what's out there and don't worry about it. In fact, I ate at McDonald's twice in the last week and Taco Bell once because we have been so on the run! Thanks to that I have a pain flare coming on, but other than that, we just do the best we can. It would be really easy to turn into a 100% freak and insist that we never ever eat conventional meat or dairy products (or any other food for that matter), due to ethical reasons and because of the crud they put in there. However, in this world we live in we would almost have to become OCD about it, or never eat away from home, and I think that's probably just as unhealthy as eating the crap 10% of the time. So I guess that means we are just 90% freaks. :roll:

But then again, I don't get to rabid about telling people that what they eat is poisonous in my everyday life either! <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 am __________ <br /><br />
HoppinHalfPints":34putvpb said:
Sort of like my brother, he's gluten intolerant yet eats bread almost everyday. My mother, who is the same, doesn't eat bread or wheat products at all.

Another side note - I saw a CL ad in WA state for fodder systems made my a company with a "HoppinHalfPints" logo, so I thought it was you! But I see that you are in CA, so I guess you have a twin out there! Sorry to go off topic...

I thing that we might want to seperate "religious" beliefs from regular social and environmental moral beliefs. While this kind of problem comes up often due to religious beliefs, it is not the question here. Speaking to the question at hand, I think that Maggies advice is exemplary. The other mom my have beliefs that aren't so far from yours, but she simply poorly worded them. OR she may be a selfrighteous ARA snob, but it why not see before you make an enemy of a potential friend. Furthermore, it is less dangerous to let a youngster hear other views with a sound explanation comming from the parent.

Beliefs about God might be a much more important concern. No one wants some other adult to try to indroctinate their child, It is a parents responsibility to teach their children as best they can, so that the child can make their own decision when they become an adult, BUT that is not be the discussion here.

avdpas77":34zhbpcf said:
I thing that we might want to seperate "religious" beliefs from regular social and environmental moral beliefs. While this kind of problem comes up often due to religious beliefs, it is not the question here. Speaking to the question at hand, I think that Maggies advice is exemplary. The other mom my have beliefs that aren't so far from yours, but she simply poorly worded them. OR she may be a selfrighteous ARA snob, but it why not see before you make an enemy of a potential friend. Furthermore, it is less dangerous to let a youngster hear other views with a sound explanation comming from the parent.

Beliefs about God might be a much more important concern. No one wants some other adult to try to indroctinate their child, It is a parents responsibility to teach their children as best they can, so that the child can make their own decision when they become an adult, BUT that is not be the discussion here.

Thanks, Frank! My main concern is that Jessica teaches her daughter how to question and process the many different beliefs she will encounter as she grows and moves out into the world. Band-aid treatment of the immediate issue is not enough. This whole issue is just the tip of an iceberg that all children have to face. It was true in the 1950's when I was a kid and it is even more true now.

(BTW, it is very nice to see you back with us here on RT! We've missed you!)

Comet007":px677s8b said:
HoppinHalfPints":px677s8b said:

Another side note - I saw a CL ad in WA state for fodder systems made my a company with a "HoppinHalfPints" logo, so I thought it was you! But I see that you are in CA, so I guess you have a twin out there! Sorry to go off topic...

:shock: What? I thought my name was creative enough that I wouldn't have copiers. Darn.

Does this child"s mother understand that ALL baby mammals drink their mother's milk if they are being fed naturally? Did this particular mother Breast feed her child? That could be a point in a conversation with the AR parent. The only time a cow's milk will have pus in it would be for the same reason Human milk would-an infection being present! And dairies MUST check the cows on a regular basis for those types of infections.
I just learned today that ANTIBIOTICS are used on some farms that raise CERTIFIED ORGANIC fruits!!! Yes, streptomycin is used to treat Fire Blight on apple and pear trees! So, is this parent going to tell her kid that?

Frosted Rabbits":o722cgtt said:
Does this child"s mother understand that ALL baby mammals drink their mother's milk if they are being fed naturally? Did this particular mother Breast feed her child? That could be a point in a conversation with the AR parent. The only time a cow's milk will have pus in it would be for the same reason Human milk would-an infection being present! And dairies MUST check the cows on a regular basis for those types of infections.
I just learned today that ANTIBIOTICS are used on some farms that raise CERTIFIED ORGANIC fruits!!! Yes, streptomycin is used to treat Fire Blight on apple and pear trees! So, is this parent going to tell her kid that?

Actually, you might be happy to know that just this week the National Organic Standards Board voted to no longer allow the use of streptomycin! It goes into effect in October. Yay, another victory for our food! Although I wish the farmers would just make these decisions themselves - if everyone did we wouldn't need all this red tape!

Although I wish the farmers would just make these decisions themselves - if everyone did we wouldn't need all this red tape!
I think you mean the CONSUMERS not the farmers :)

Farmers don't care if you buy their apples with bruises and scabs as long as you buy their apples :)

Consumers wanting perfectly red, sweet, non bruising and blemish free apples is what started the whole problem of using pesticides and antibiotics and planting their orchards with apple varieties prone to disease and that have to be "babied" to produce fruit.

Skyrocket":2cdmmoq3 said:
JessicaR":2cdmmoq3 said:
But yet they eat at McDonalds and other fast food places all the time. I just dont get some people :lol:
WHAT? :x I can't even wrap my head around that one.

JessicaR":2cdmmoq3 said:
I did talk to her and basically came to the agreement that she will keep her thoughts to herself, about animals and i will allow my daughter to go over there. I could tell she wasnt very happy about it but for now the peace has been kept.

At least peace is being kept, no matter how disgruntled your neighbor may be.

I mostly lurked here because I really couldn't find the words to voice what I had in mind. Also, I would be thrilled to drink "normal" milk. I stuck with the alternative cause I'm lactose intolerant and Lactaid pills don't do squat. Soy milk does my tummy well but I do quite miss real dairy. When I do stray from my lactose free products I get unbearable stomach cramps but it's usually worth it. :|

- I used to sell raw milk, and most [but not all] "lactose intolerant" people are intolerant of Holstein [A-1] type milk, but are not intolerant of goats milk or A-2 milk from Guernsey, Brown Swiss, and most Jerseys]-- and as to the pus thing, cows milk has no more pus then people milk. it is a reflection on conditions the cow is kept in , or the milking equipment being properly adjusted, - People need to start becoming familiar with the people and places who produce their food, -- if that place is a factory farm, or in China-- that should tell them enough to shop someplace else.

Dood":3sksr1mk said:
Although I wish the farmers would just make these decisions themselves - if everyone did we wouldn't need all this red tape!
I think you mean the CONSUMERS not the farmers :)

Farmers don't care if you buy their apples with bruises and scabs as long as you buy their apples :)

Consumers wanting perfectly red, sweet, non bruising and blemish free apples is what started the whole problem of using pesticides and antibiotics and planting their orchards with apple varieties prone to disease and that have to be "babied" to produce fruit.

Nope, I meant what I said - clearly there are organic farmers today who still don't use these things -even if they're allowed to. From what I read, only 1/3 of apple/pear farmers used those antibiotics, even though it was allowed. To me that speaks more to the willingness to take short cuts on the part of organic farmers. I've read various articles by different agencies/groups over the past couple years where they are explaining to conventional farmers the benefits of switching over to organic products, and one of the big reasons given is always that they can sell their products at a higher profit. I think we tend to believe (not your or me, the general public) that farmers who are producing organic food do it because they have strong convictions about the harmfulness to our health and to the land of "conventional foods". Let's face it, though - there are many companies out there (probably not the really small farmers) who made a decision to produce organic products based on market analysis and the desire to get in on a niche market.

Of course, this is a circular thinking pattern - sort of a which came first, the chicken or the egg - so there's no saying 100% if the consumers desires or the big companies greed sent us down this path, but I'm more inclined to think it was the greed. <br /><br /> __________ Sat May 03, 2014 8:43 am __________ <br /><br />
michaels4gardens":3sksr1mk said:
- I used to sell raw milk, and most [but not all] "lactose intolerant" people are intolerant of Holstein [A-1] type milk, but are not intolerant of goats milk or A-2 milk from Guernsey, Brown Swiss, and most Jerseys]-- and as to the pus thing, cows milk has no more pus then people milk. it is a reflection on conditions the cow is kept in , or the milking equipment being properly adjusted, - People need to start becoming familiar with the people and places who produce their food, -- if that place is a factory farm, or in China-- that should tell them enough to shop someplace else.

Thank you for mentioning this! I have read about this and it bums me out that we use that kind in the US, because I MISS milk! As for the pus - people really need to have some small perspective - a woman who is nursing her child will sometimes get sores and cracks as she gets used to it, so it's possible her baby might get some pus that way, too... it seems like the problem might be caused by the same thing and desirable by both the responsible dairy farmer and the tender mother to resolve the issue quickly! Boy do I remember those early days! :D

Back