How do I build wire rabbit cages?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
I want to know how to build wire rabbit cages, what way is best to build them, and what arrangement best works for a 6-hole rabbitry, is it stacked, hanging, or what? Please just give me all the information you can. Everything you've ever learned about building wire rabbit cages. My cages will probably need to be 30x30 to 30x36 FYI, so please just help me out and let me know what I can do to make this work, I'm on a bit of a budget, so cheaper is better, but I also want quality, so not super cheap but cheaper and somewhat good quality. I really want to build them so as to make it a family project, I MAY consider buying, but I would prefer building.

Thanks,
Logan

what kind of an area are you in? do you have predators?

If you have a very secure location you may be able to get away with things you can't otherwise.

For instance, hardware cloth is usually cheaper than the galvanized wire you need for the sides/floors. So you can use that for the tops of the cages. :) (assuming that your cages will have some bottom support).

But otherwise you just need good galvinized wire, j-pliers or hog clamps, and the appropriate j clips or o rings. oh and good wire cutters...don't skimp on wire cutters.

Most wire that I have seen comes in 24 inch width so you want that.

My first cage was from a kit. I wanted to see how one was put together. I quickly decided I didn't like the clips that came with it, so I switched to J-clips. I also had to invert the floor because it was attached (by the manufacturer) inside out. I like for my doors to hinge at the bottom, so that they drop down completely when they're open. I use the finger-loop spring latches from Bass to keep them closed.

I make my cages from wire that I buy in rolls from TSC. I use this for the sides and top:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/welded-wire-fencing/cage-wire-36-x-25-ft-1-x-2-in--3627241

and I use this for the floors:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing/welded-wire-fencing/cage-wire-30-x-10-ft-1-2-x-1-in--3627209

I use these dropping pans:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/pet-ca...e-plastic-dropping-pan-30-in-x-30-in--2180597

Even if you can't find it in your local TSC, you can order it online and have it shipped to your local TSC for free.

I prefer using J-clips to fasten the wire together. Make sure you have plenty of J-clips, a good pair of J-clip pliers, and gloves (to pad your hands). I order the clips and the pliers from Bass. And, as ladysown mentioned, good wire cutters.

I started out by making the sides all one piece and bending the wire at the corners in order to save wire and J-clips. I've decided I don't like that idea because the cages don't come out quite square.

As for stacking/hanging, I think a lot depends on where your cages will be located and how much space you have. The best thing to do there is to get ideas from the other people here and pick what suits your situation best. Mine are currently in our attached garage, although I hope to have a barn to put them in someday.

Here is my stacking system for my 30"x30" cages. I'll try to get photos that will show how it's put together. I got a lot of my ideas from moonkitten's Web site. I designed a 2-cage system out of 2x4s, 1x2s, and L-brackets. 6' 2x4s form the uprights in the corners, with horizontal 31" 2x4s across the sides, at the top, center, and bottom. I have L-brackets attached to those to hold the cages. I have horizontal 31" 2x4s across the front and back, with three slats of 31" 1x2s (front to back) to hold the dropping pans. The whole thing is braced on the sides and back with 8' 1x2s attached diagonally. It's all put together with screws (nails are NOT a good idea--they'll work loose.) Lesson learned from this project: make your stacking system just a little bigger than your cage dimensions, or you might find it too tight for your cages to fit. :oops: (Remember my not-quite-square cages?) :evil: Still, I do like the design, and three more of these are on my DH's honey-do list (he's better at the actual construction stuff than I am).

Logan, I know you are moving to the city, but don't forget that neighbourhood dogs and cats count as predators. Many cities (at least here in Ontario) also have large populations of raccoons and foxes that have adjusted to urban life. Just something to keep in mind.

I also don't bend the wire around the corners, I cut each piece and clip them together. It's a bit more work and more j-clips but the cage comes out square and solid. I put j-clips every four squares, just what works for me...

I think you'll find that if you use the same wire as the rest of the cage for the top the cage will be far more solid structurally. It might cost a doller or two more but I find the sides of the cages a bit wiggly until I fasten the top on properly, then they're solid as a rock.

I'm also trying something different for my cage setup with a sloping surface under my cage for the urine to drain away into a gutter. I posted a pic on a thread called "New Setup". I was also inspired by Moonkitten's web site. It works very well so far, far less maintainance than poo pans!

Urban areas are also seeing a rise in coyotes! They moved into this area (which isn't urban, but it isn't rural either... more small town) a couple of years ago. A black bear moved into the apartment complex about the same time. Went right up to one of the screened porches and freaked the poor lady out! :x

I've heard good things about moonkitten's setup but I ahve failed to find any pics or information on here nor her website. Could someone point me in the right direction?

There were pictures on a thread in HT... but it was a long time ago and I don't think I could find it easily now, since I don't remember the thread title. Maybe Moonkitten will see this thread and post her pictures again on RabbitTalk. I couldn't find them on her website either.

Here's the link to Moonkitten's setup - http://www.downtherabbithole.ca/rabbitry.html

Speaking of coyotes - someone just east of Toronto had a little dog (Pomeranian?) snatched and killed by a coyote, while they were walking it, in broad daylight. :cry:

We have some chickens with missing toes due to raccoons reaching up through the wire floors and chewing them off - not here, but the people we got them from.

MaggieJ":19dhs8iu said:
There were pictures on a thread in HT... but it was a long time ago and I don't think I could find it easily now, since I don't remember the thread title. Maybe Moonkitten will see this thread and post her pictures again on RabbitTalk. I couldn't find them on her website either.
Here it is!

http://www.downtherabbithole.ca/rabbitry.html

Latest posts

Back