Housing females/male close

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caseyray

Reaction score
Going to be building own hutch double decker style. Would it be OK to have female on top then have the male directly housed underneath her?? Or should I build a total separate hutch and keep them far away

Either works fine. I have two three stacked cages that are connected going up and both have a Doe in the middle and Bucks on the top and bottom. I just wouldn't put their cages right next to each other, because the buck will most likely spray

I have a buck next to does. I don't really mind that he sprays sometimes, they all know each other and breed really well for me that way. I get that if you were raising a wool breed it would be a problem, but meh, they are happy, what they like and what we like don't have to be the same.

They even snuggle side by side through the wire sometimes, I think it makes the buck happier.

as long as they aren't next to eachother or have wire between them, it should be fine. I have stackers with bucks below and around with metal dividers and there is no issue

Last edited:
I agree with not putting them too closely side-by-side. They can actually breed through the wire. As for underneath, I had a buck that had a lot of freedom in the yard. Does were kept in hutches. Unfortunately he would run over to a hutch if a doe was doing her business and stand underneath looking like he'd found rabbit heaven.

They can actually breed through the wire.
Oh, gosh, I hope I get to see them try this before I die. :ROFLMAO: I cannot picture the mechanics of the contortions the poor buck must go through!

In seriousness, this is not something I had considered, and I would not be concerned if I had, because I have a very small (teeny) rabbitry right now, and a single unplanned litter just means my freezer will be a little fuller than I meant it to be. But with pets or show rabbits etc, that could be catastrophic.

Oh, gosh, I hope I get to see them try this before I die. :ROFLMAO: I cannot picture the mechanics of the contortions the poor buck must go through!

In seriousness, this is not something I had considered, and I would not be concerned if I had, because I have a very small (teeny) rabbitry right now, and a single unplanned litter just means my freezer will be a little fuller than I meant it to be. But with pets or show rabbits etc, that could be catastrophic.
Ya this is a pretty big issue newbies don't know, I had 3 litters through the wire till I realized what was happening

I agree with not putting them too closely side-by-side. They can actually breed through the wire. As for underneath, I had a buck that had a lot of freedom in the yard. Does were kept in hutches. Unfortunately he would run over to a hutch if a doe was doing her business and stand underneath looking like he'd found rabbit heaven.
Lol, that's spot on :D

I had to add a second layer of wire to the does hutches, buck kept sticking his nose in and got bitten, by now I consider naming him Tony Montana. Or Pacino.

I don't think "breeding through wire" is real. Anatomically, it's not plausible. Often when that is claimed kids had access to the rabbits, kids can be quite curious about that things, and then there's some peoples "I didn't do anything wrong" kneejerk reaction to things veering off the planned path.

I have both my bucks each in their own cage and each between 2 does. They spray so I have 3 sides of buck’s cages with homemade urine guards, full height of the cages. Works. Bucks get to feel all sexy and manly spraying everywhere and does get to snicker at them knowing they are dry and protected from the silly bucks. My choice of urine guard material is the clear corrugated plastic panels cut down to size.

Lol, that's spot on :D

I had to add a second layer of wire to the does hutches, buck kept sticking his nose in and got bitten, by now I consider naming him Tony Montana. Or Pacino.

I don't think "breeding through wire" is real. Anatomically, it's not plausible. Often when that is claimed kids had access to the rabbits, kids can be quite curious about that things, and then there's some peoples "I didn't do anything wrong" kneejerk reaction to things veering off the planned path.
My daughter is so guilty/ “but mom” lol

Back