Hoo-rah!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
Two very good things for me today!!!

#1) So, I was a little gun-shy about breeding rabbits again, but whatta ya do? My barn is finally back together (and nearly finished), I have lights on, and the cost of feeding nonproducing rabbits ain't gettin' any cheaper. I'm out of excuses and need to start making some money. So, I went out and threw caution to the wind.

I tried breeding about 25 rabbits. I got 7 to actually breed (I have the roofs double tarped and the lights have only been on since Sunday afternoon)! I am short 3 bucks right now, so if the does didn't breed immediately, I pulled them out and put in a different one. I just don't have enough boys to go around, so used the easy does. I really need to get my broken buck back from my friend and stop letting her use him!

Hopefully, these does will have large litters (and live). I figure if each one of my rabbits has a litter of 16-18, with no deaths, no misses, and they all reach 6.5 lbs by 8 weeks, I'll be good. But, I'll be happy with litters of 8-10, few deaths, and fryers that reach 5-6 lbs by 10-12 weeks.

#2) Adoption tax laws changed and what was supposed to be a credit for adopting our 3 girls this year will be a big fat payment. I had planned on around $700 going into the rabbitry this spring. Now...I have much more to work with. This means more cages, an auto water system, J Feeders for everyone, and I will be able to reach my 75 does this year.

I have 15 NZ whites that made it through the ordeal in the barn that I've been eyeballing. I have a trio spoken for, but I may keep all the rest of the does out of them. I haven't sexed them yet, as I didn't want to get my hopes up.

This also means adding quail and chukar to the odd animals that we raise, getting my silk-screening equipment back together, adding some more fencing to increase the garden area and fruit beds so I can sell at the farmer's market, and starting to make an income around here. I've researched all of this to death, but it's all been such a slow stinking process.

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just finally starting to come out of the depression that the last couple of months has put me into. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I just have to pray it's not a train!!!!!!!!!!! :p

oh, nice. its about time you got some good stuff back. :)<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 am __________<br /><br />oh, and dont worry about rambling....does ANY post on here stay on topic with no rambles?! Its part of what makes "here" unique.

Adopting your 3 girls? buns? or children? It sounds like you're on your way up Paula :) hopefully all those does take and you have lots of does from your 15 nz's!

mountainrabbits":2onoabmc said:
Adopting your 3 girls? buns? or children? It sounds like you're on your way up Paula :) hopefully all those does take and you have lots of does from your 15 nz's!

Yep, children. We finalized their adoptions in June! :happy2:

I think Ann has rubbed off on me a little (bad case of Rabbitosis). I talked to Chris about expanding. I have 2 more canopies out there that he said I could have. One more and I can get the herd up to 100 does, rather than 75. That was supposed to be next year's goal, but hey. I think that will end all expansions until we get a different place someday.

I also have a doe that my friend bred for me. We switched does that wouldn't breed on the hopes that a change of scenery would help. She's a beautiful Cali doe with 2 jr. legs. Now, I have 7 pedigreed popples out in the barn and she's doing very well! YAY!!!

pfaubush":14aypaa0 said:
Yep, children. We finalized their adoptions in June! :happy2:

That's wonderful Paula! :up: Congratulations (way late :) but still!) and 100 does from 75 hmmm? Oh my :lol: I already had rabbitosis but dang! That is inspiring! Can I come be barn help? The wet weather put my cage and hutch construction plans on hold...and even I can't talk myself into getting more bunnies without a proper place for them ahead of time...

You can come down and help me any time you want!!! Would be glad to have you down for lunch some time!

Latest posts

Back