Holland Lop Lionhead kits at 9 weeks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckcs

Reaction score
I bred my Chocolate Holland Lop to my Lionhead Doe and the resulting 3 kits are now 9 weeks old. I may hold the doe back to breed back to the Holland. The other two I will be selling. I have to admit I love the black buck. The one ear up cracks me up. He is very sweet. I also love his feet.

1) Do you think the black bucks other ear will drop.
2) The doe appears to be a chocolate to me, what color is the other buck?

Black Buck

Chocolate Doe

?? Buck

They sure are cute.

Our French lop lion head has one ear up and the other down. His brother has both ears down. Here is a picture of Jonas my son's flop he is very sweet.
3715349404109 (3).jpg

This is Jasper my daughter's flop
3715348244080.jpg

Attachments

• 3715349404109 (2).jpg
    3715349404109 (2).jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 2,797
squidpop":3vxa248t said:
So did they all wind up with manes? I would have thought the long hair was recessive and they would all have shorter fur like a holland- they are really cute with the manes.
Yup, their manes are mainly around the head though, very little around the skirt.

Demamma Jasper is very cute

The mane gene is incompletely dominant- like.the broken gene.

If they get one mane gene they have the fur around the neck, if they get two they are showable, called double maned and also get fur along the flanks. I assume the lionhead doe was double maned so she will always have single maned kits.

I am surprised the ears are flopping at all. When my sister started her lion lop project it took a couple generations to get lop ears back, we still get completely up-right ears and the partial lops.

As for colour, the last kit looks like a fawn/orange to me. What colour was the mother?

Yeah, they will completely lose that mane, for the most part :( Seems like the doe has a nice strong mane, though. If you manage to keep the mane through the breeding project, you should have a lovely maned lionlop, rather than the scraggly ones I see around here :)

ckcs":2nmqemt8 said:
I may hold the doe back to breed back to the Holland.

The chocolate doe is gorgeous!

But... :twisted: ... if you are planning on trying to get maned lops, I would breed brother to sister for the next generation.

ckcs":2nmqemt8 said:
I have to admit I love the black buck.

So-o-o, I think you should...

Keep him, keep him! :cheerleader:

They look very similar to my Gen I "Leonis Rex" rabbits.

IMG_5524.JPG

I kept a black doe, "Queen", and an agouti buck, "Leon" out of the Gen I litter.

I bred Queen to a blue Rex buck, and two out of the three surviving kits look Rex.

Next, I will breed Queen to Leon, in the hopes of getting maned Rex-furred kits out of them.

I am keeping the fuzzy blue kit from her current litter, and will keep a doe out of the Queen x Leon litter to breed Gen III.

You can see Queen and the kits she had when bred to the blue Rex buck here:

leonis-rex-kits-generation-ii-pics-added-4-29-t13693.html

Our flops are probably almost a year and still have names on their faces and the brown has skirting on his body.

Dood":2io2t78j said:
As for colour, the last kit looks like a fawn/orange to me. What colour was the mother?

MamaSheepdog":2io2t78j said:
The chocolate doe is gorgeous!

But... :twisted: ... if you are planning on trying to get maned lops, I would breed brother to sister for the next generation.

If I hold brother and sister back, breed them, would the goal then be to get a double maned doe to breed back to the Holland Buck? Then once I can get a doe/buck pair with both double maned and lop ears, use them to breed the lionlops from.<br /><br />__________ Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm __________<br /><br />My thinking is things would go like this
F1 Holland Lop - DM Lionhead =
F2 SM Doe - SM Buck =
F3 DM Doe (25% chance DM any sex)
Once I have the Doe then start back over
F1 DM Doe(F3) - Holland Lop =
F2 SM Doe (lopped) - SM Buck (lopped) =
F3 DM Doe (lopped) - DM Buck (lopped) Is this the pair that I am looking for, providing I get the lopped ears?

Your plan sounds like a good one. :)

To cut your time down a bit, when you breed the F2 SM doe, you could breed the F2 SM buck to her and a lop in the hope of getting a SM lop.

My plan is to heavily inbreed mine. As soon as each successive generation reproduces successfully, the parents will head off to camp. I will likely bring in another purebred Lionhead to improve the manes at some point. The original pair I had were likely not pure- they weighed over 5lbs each, but the doe had a nice meaty carcass, which is good for my goals.

Since the crown is so important in getting the ears to lop properly, breeding back to a lop as you plan to is probably a necessity.

Have fun! It is neat that there are a few of us now that are working on Lionhead crosses. :)

The third picture looks orange.<br /><br />__________ Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 am __________<br /><br />Love the chocolates!

Latest posts

Back