Holland Lop Does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foot

Reaction score
.We have two Holland Lop Does Bred on the same day, If you remember they had there kits and all of the kits died :-(..Well it has happened again...HELP!!!!!

You are correct "Dood"It was the one that did not make a nest, This time she made a nest but did not pull any hair from herself again.one kit was found cold and very dead. This momma bunnyis still running around collecting hay bits to build her nest even though her only kit is dead.Could she possibly have more kits a day later or should we remove the box?
The other Black doe, If you remember had her kits on the floor of the cage and they all died as well. This time like last time I put the nest boxes In there cages at the appropriate time and the Black one has some kits tonight :)She has pulled a little fur and this time had the kits in the nest box. How do we keep these kits alive???

She could have more kits, DO NOT remove the nest box.

the Black one has some kits tonight She has pulled a little fur and this time had the kits in the nest box. How do we keep these kits alive???
it sounds like she is doing fine. You can add more hay or straw if you are worried about the cold or you can bring the nest box into the house and take it out twice a day to let her feed them.

I am confused as to why you need help to "keep these kits alive".

you can pull more fur from her (the belly and the dew lap) .
If she's not feeding them you could very carefully hold her over them so she gets used to the feel of the kits suckling.

We need the HELP because the doe does not look after the kits
What exactly do you mean by this? How is she neglecting them?

It hasnt even been 24 hours yet, give her a chance.

Rabbits milk sometimes takes a 24 hours to come in and they only feed them once or twice a day. Rabbits are not like any other species in that they do not groom or cuddle with their offspring or bring them back to the nest if they get lost. The mothers make a nest and pretty much leave them completely alone except to feed them for less than 5 minutes.

What makes you think she is not looking after them?

Rabbits don't hover over their young constantly like dogs do. Usually they have them, get out of the box and clean themselves, and pretty much ignore the box till it's time to feed them.

I thought I made that clear in the 3rd post "Skysthelimit" but thank you

for pionting that out to me "Rabbits don't hover over their young constantly like dogs do". And "Dood" I did not know that.

foot said:
I thought I made that clear in the 3rd post "Skysthelimit" but thank you

quote]

Sometimes we post over each other, and by the time we click submit another post is made. That happens to me a lot, because I am often posting on breaks, but when I go back and click, the response is often irrelevant or not in the same order it was when I left.

From what I read, everything was pretty normal for a rabbit. I had a doe yesterday that did not hop out of the box and leave them be, she stood in the box for whatever reason, not covering the kits, so they nearly froze. If I had not gone back out, pulled her out of the box and warmed the kits, they would be dead.

Thats right "Skysthelimet" sometimes we do post over each other.I said what I said and i,ll stick by what I said. I know nothing about the breeding of Holland Lop Rabbits And "Dood"..."What exactly do you mean by this? How is she neglecting them? I think that was rude.

:shock:

You said...
We need the HELP because the doe does not look after the kits
which would mean she is neglecting them in some way. I wanted to why you thought she wasn't looking after them and you still haven't answered my question.

If you
know nothing about the breeding of Holland Lop Rabbits
then maybe you should be more cooperative and polite to people who are trying to help you.

Foot, people are trying to help you here. In order to give you information that might help you, people need to know as many details of what is going on as possible. What does "the doe does not look after the kits" mean? Does it mean you don't see her with the kits, that she seems to be ignoring them?

Rabbits are prey animals. The moms will avoid the babies a lot to keep predators from knowing where the babies are. The doe will feed the babies a couple times a day for just a few minutes at a time. Other than that, she won't spend a lot of time with the babies. It's for their protection.

It's been a few days since they were born. If the kits are still alive and have rounded full bellies, the doe is doing her job. How do the kits look now?

I am sorry to hear that foot!
I can tell you that everyone here really does want to help you and give you the best advice that they can. :)
Unfortunately, one of the difficulties that comes with having an online place to talk with people is that words and conversations don't always come across as they are meant and feelings sometimes get hurt. Words that are spoken need to be taken with a grain of salt, and we all need to be careful of which words we choose to use and how we take the words spoken to us.

I do hope you decide to stay, foot, but if not I wish you only the best, and I hope that you find the best way to help your rabbits! :)

Latest posts

Back