Holland lop breeding. Help!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopLionheadLady

Reaction score
Hi guys! I put my doe and buck together and the doe immediately started to hump the buck. They had their first fall off within a couple minutes. I then gave them a break because nothing was happening and I tried again and they had their second falloff. I then gave them another break and when I put them back together my doe started making very loud honking and grunting noises and she was attacking the buck. I then tried to grab her and she was very mad so I covered her in a blanket and calmed her down in my arms. Is her acting like this normal. Also she won’t let me touch her anymore and is biting me. Can I try again in 8-10 hours without her being pregnant on both uturin horns?

it sounds like they bred successfully. does will get annoyed with bucks when the mood fades and will want her own space, usually after two or three fall-offs, and will growl/honk and box him to let him know his continued advances are unwanted. if you attempt to put them back together tomorrow, she may let him breed her, she may not. i find they usually will put up a fuss, since they'll have already began the ovulation process and no longer are interested in bucks.

also, the thing with rabbits having two differently aged litters is a myth. they do have two uterine horns, but both are used to carry the litter. i think this myth started because sometimes a doe will have a fetus die during gestation and pass it when she kindles the rest of the litter, making it appear as though there were 'multiple pregnancies.' rabbits can only get pregnant once ;p

Thank you! I did try again early this morning and she was completely uninterested in the buck. The first falloff yesterday the buck did not grunt but dramatically fell off so I assume it was successful. The second falloff the buck did grunt and fell off. My doe has always been sweet and her mood swings were crazy lol! Does this mean she is pregnant since she is not interested in the buck? Also do you think I should put them together in 2 weeks and if she is uninterested I know she is pregnant? This is my first time breeding bunnies.

bucks don't always make noise, but if he falls off he got the job done. being disinterested in breeding is a good sign, but you'll only know if she's for sure pregnant if you palpate at about two weeks and can feel fetuses inside her (they'll feel a bit like grapes,) or when she starts digging in get cage and "haystashing" which happens closer to the due date. i'm horrible at palpating so i just have to be patient and wait to see if any does i breed show nesting signs.

you can put them together in two weeks, but that method isn't very accurate. i've had bred does lift very willingly for a buck the day before they kindled, and if you're catching an unbred doe on one of her off days she'll pitch as big a fit as a bred one. the only real thing that method accomplishes is if she wasn't pregnant before, she be now (and you should always write down that date just in case.)

There is a chance but I wouldn't count on it. She is a first time mother right? If so, she probably has no idea what she should be doing and is most just confused.

Latest posts

Back