Hind end paralysis and possibly blind?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
One of my better young meat bucks turned up paralysied in his hind end tonight, Possibly since yesterday. Seems to be blind on top of that, will confirm tomorrow in the daylight.

I am thinking stroke. Its been HOT and humid and WET for the better part of 3 months now with little break.
Are the any signs to look for to know if it was caused by something contagious?
Unless he has a miraculous recovery in the next day or 2 I probably will put him down.

I'm assuming you'll have placed him in a small carrier for the night so that he can't further injure himself. (or be injured by another rabbit). Pinch the toes to see if he reacts. If no reaction might well be a broken back which happens. If reacts, most likely nerve damage. I"ve not seen a rabbit with a stroke so I don't know if that would potentially cause blindness.

They can manage to break their back when all alone so it doesn't need to have been from a fight. It's rare but it can happen. However, it could also be from a parasite, so try swiping some Ivermectin in his ears. Then give him a couple of days to improve, if he doesn't, well, there's always freezer camp.

Freezer camp it is. He is not 100% blind but just about, and no feeling whatsoever in the rear
This really sucks, end of his line he is and we had really high temps early on in the season so I didn't get a spring litter out of him.
Any reason not to eat him or feed the organs to the dogs?

Figured I would share the conclusion pic. He definately had a broken back. In the 2 days I gave him for a miracle recovery he developed sores on his inner thigh, urine scald and was well on his way to a bladder rupture. I thought he had been peeing but it must have been leakage.
Managed to salvage half the pelt, somehow even at 90° temps he still had a thick coat. Meat will probably go for dog food, unfortunately.
harvest pic
20210812_194507.jpg

Back