Hi yall, mini lop x meat rabbits??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EziRae

Reaction score
Hi, I have a mini lop named cinnabun and this lady who may be a rex/FG mix but I'm not sure (any info on her breed is welcome too) and I was wondering if the babies would still be good for meat and if they'd have lop ears. I'm hoping I can sell one or two as pets from each litter and the lop ears might help.20211005_150012.jpg20211005_145315.jpg

meat to bone ratio would not be ideal/sufficient, I think he would be better as just a pet. If you want meat breeds you should look for breeds with a commercial body type and/or ones that come from an experienced meat breeder.

also make sure you are not just breeding for looks or profit. You should be breeding for over all health of the animal colors, looks, etc. can come afterword's.

I'm just wondering what I can do with what I've got. I've also got a male more like Ash that will be good for meat breeders, and I'm not breeding for looks. These are just the three buns I have already.

I was just wondering if a cross would be useful too or not.

They would be for meat and fur but if I could sell one or two it would be nice.

I'm just wondering what I can do with what I've got. I've also got a male more like Ash that will be good for meat breeders, and I'm not breeding for looks. These are just the three buns I have already.

I was just wondering if a cross would be useful too or not.

They would be for meat and fur but if I could sell one or two it would be nice.
ok. as I said it wouldn't have very good meat to bone ratio, it would work, meat is meat after all, but money, feed and growth time probable wouldn't be very efficient.

People like pets that look cool or different. I used to sell one or two meat mutt rabbits from each litter as a pet, and it paid for the feed for the rest of the litter, making my freezer camp free. I just picked the "cutest" kits, let the kids handle the daylights out of them, and then posted their pics on craigslist under farm and garden. I emphasized that they were fun pets that were docile and well-handled, or edible, and that usually got them sold in a week. Over time I shifted my breeders more toward a particular breed, but as long as you are not misrepresenting your rabbits, I don't see anything wrong with selling the occaisional "pet" or cull.

It is true that production breeds are much more efficient than smaller "pet" breeds, but this is the difference between keeping a Rhode Island Red chicken flock vs. some Silkies or barnyard mix birds. Both will lay eggs. If you are happy with them then they are "useful", and learning on "mutts" is frequently better than investing in high end stock when you may discover that you hate breeding (or eating) rabbits and want to be done.

That's what I'm thinking. I have two that people seem to think are NZ/FG and FG/rex so those will be my main for now but I'm thinking of adding my lop for the ears for cuteness and for dog chews if I can figure out the breeding charts lol I appreciate the info

Latest posts

Back