Hi coming from UT. Does anyone know about the meat processing laws for Ut?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Hamblin

Reaction score
I've been reading them but I need some clarification on it. I've been reading in title 4 chapter 32 section 105 and if someone can help clearify 105-10 and 11 would muchly be appropriate. Thank you for any help in advanced.

"Custom exempt processing" means processing meat, wild game, amenable species, or nonamenable species as a service for the person who owns the meat, wild game, amenable species, or nonamenable species, if the person:
(a)uses the meat, meat food products, slaughtered amenable species, wild game, or slaughtered nonamenable species for the person's own consumption, including consumption by immediate family members and nonpaying guests; or
(b)offers the slaughtered nonamenable species for wholesale or retail sale.
(11)
(a)"Custom exempt slaughter" means:
(i)slaughtering an amenable species or nonamenable species as a service for the person who owns the amenable species or nonamenable species and uses the slaughtered amenable species or slaughtered nonamenable species for the person's own consumption, including consumption by immediate family members and nonpaying guests; or
(ii)the slaughter of a nonamenable species intended for wholesale or retail sale.
(b)"Custom exempt slaughter" includes farm custom slaughter.

Ok. So processing means cutting and wrapping meat. Slaughter refers to killing. You could process a deer someone else (a hunter) killed for instance.

Amenable and non-amenable generally refer to what the USDA defines as "exotic" and rabbits are considered non-amenable or "exotic". As such they are not required to have USDA inspection, where as cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens are. Utah may have their own definition, I would have to look at the whole text of this section to be sure, definitions are sometimes buried.

AskUSDA.

Mostly I think this is saying you may charge someone to process or slaughter their rabbits or any other animal if they want to eat them themselves. You may NOT charge someone to process or slaughter their sheep/cow/pig/other USDA inspected species if they plan to sell them, but you MAY charge them to process or slaughter their rabbits or other non-usda inspected species even if they want to sell them.

For the record I am not any kind of lawyer, and I do not have any business offering legal advice. I just read a lot of contracts, and have dealt with a lot of regulations.

Yes, mostly at a farmer's markets. I might just find a processor. I've seen some on ARBA's website but it hasn't been updated since 2017 I just need to make some phone calls. I guess does anyone know of any processors? Just trying to find multiple outlets.
Have you done the math to see what they need to sell for, and how many you would need to sell to make it worth your while to hire a processor, then spend the day at the farmers market?
Not trying to discourage you. Just thinking of alternatives if the laws prevent your endeavor.

Have you done the math to see what they need to sell for, and how many you would need to sell to make it worth your while to hire a processor, then spend the day at the farmers market?
Not trying to discourage you. Just thinking of alternatives if the laws prevent your endeavor.
For the farmer's market it would be me doing the processing. The processor involvement would selling to a processor just like in beef but instead rabbits. Honestly how I understand the law is this you don't need an inspection for custom exempt slaughter/processing you just got do it as a service (so you don't get paid). For example people around here will process their own deer or do it for a neighbor or slaughting and processing their own beef would fall under this. But I never thought you could sell an slaughtered animals, amenable or nonamenable, owner or not without inspections and paperwork but for me it seems like you can how the law states. I don't know and was just hoping someone else fully knew about it. The head state inspector is supposed be coming out to my area for dairy barn inspections I might just see if I can catch him and see what he knows. I can let you all know what he says. If I'm able to catch up with him.

Got it. Let us know the out come.
The work around could be to sell live animals, and courtesy slaughter/butcher for the buyer. Basically, take the order one week, deliver the next week.
Ya that definitely might be it but I also have questions about that I can clear up with him. Most about how that situation is approached for example they have to ask me to do it, I give it as an option when they buy rabbits, or if I can advertise it when I advertise the rabbits.
Thanks again for the comments I hope to have answers to share!

Being neighbourly is not something you advertise. Advertising is for commercial acivity with farther reach and therefore more rules.
So i doubt that you'd get away with "hiding" under such regulations. You'd be more reliant on word of mouth and home delivery, where you are paid for the live animal and do the killing as a service there. Or let them pick up live animals at the market and make an appointment for getting them freezer ready at their place later. Means good transportcrates with a refund though. I.e. this may become complicated and thus not viable as a business.

So yes first get the regulations explained correctly and then start calculations on viability. Food safety laws are pretty lax in the US, but health issues resulting from your product can be costly. Also you may have to consider insurance and they sure are a pain for non standard stuff.
Means you run into the choice to either stay small (like enough to pay the bunny feed from) or get really big (with assorted risks and no time for anything else). If you want your "hobby" to pay for itself, stay small.

"Custom exempt processing" means processing meat, wild game, amenable species, or nonamenable species as a service for the person who owns the meat, wild game, amenable species, or nonamenable species, if the person:
(a)uses the meat, meat food products, slaughtered amenable species, wild game, or slaughtered nonamenable species for the person's own consumption, including consumption by immediate family members and nonpaying guests; or
(b)offers the slaughtered nonamenable species for wholesale or retail sale.
(11)
(a)"Custom exempt slaughter" means:
(i)slaughtering an amenable species or nonamenable species as a service for the person who owns the amenable species or nonamenable species and uses the slaughtered amenable species or slaughtered nonamenable species for the person's own consumption, including consumption by immediate family members and nonpaying guests; or
(ii)the slaughter of a nonamenable species intended for wholesale or retail sale.
(b)"Custom exempt slaughter" includes farm custom slaughter.
I would probably visit or call the nearest ag extension office and ask for clarification (preferably in writing, or if possible, record the explanation for reference later and/or any self-defense needs later on.)

I'm looking to set up my rabbit business with the farmers markets. Also lived in UT during 2020, they had the best markets and the best laws (thanks Connor Boyack).

But I don't know any specifics and I had thought about the average farmers market customer not going to the meat stalls. Back in Texas we did a lot of markets and the meat stalls were always the least popular, except for one offering ready-cooked and packaged meats like duck confit.

There are a few laws which I know can be applied, in Texas and Colorado people just use a "prepared in a home kitchen" label and supposedly that is good. Something about cottage laws. Not sure. Another idea is to use the same methods as cow/milk shares, sign people up as part of a private club which guarantees them a percentage of your harvest. This way you can get longterm customers even if they don't show up at the market every time.

One last option is to instead sell for dog/cat food, labeling the meat "not intended for human consumption" yet still let interested parties know that it is just for law and it can be enjoyed by humans too.

Just throwing out ideas, what do you think? Can you share more about your farmers market vision?

Latest posts

Back