Hi all, new member here, I joined to give and get some tips on composting using different items, including rabbit droppings and used hutch material.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good! Fire away! I use an old child's wading pool - (the pool is old not the child) The sun dries out the pellets/urine and the chickens turn it over. It's working great. I do need to punch some more holes in the bottom because we had a rainstorm and it's full of water this morning.

I do not have enough rabbit manure to compost as it goes directly in to service around the place.It is put directly on the garden, around pecan trees, peaches, plums, flower beds, and worm bin. Building my rabbitry to produce ten pounds a day To fertilize an acre and a half. Rabbits and worms appear to be essential for Genesis earth.
although chemicals have been used on this land in the past, we do not use any now, and we are as careful as possible with what we feed out rabbits. It is my intension to raise my hay for my rabbits, and a portion of the garden is for them.

I do not have enough rabbit manure to compost as it goes directly in to service around the place.It is put directly on the garden, around pecan trees, peaches, plums, flower beds, and worm bin. Building my rabbitry to produce ten pounds a day To fertilize an acre and a half. Rabbits and worms appear to be essential for Genesis earth.
although chemicals have been used on this land in the past, we do not use any now, and we are as careful as possible with what we feed out rabbits. It is my intension to raise my hay for my rabbits, and a portion of the garden is for them.
Very good idea to raise hay too for the rabbits! I have a herb garden just for the rabbits but I honestly never considered hay. I will start my research as to what hay would grow best not only for the rabbits but in my warm South Georgia weather.

🙂Welcome Leafbug!

Bunnies and gardens go great together. Hutch bunnies are even better since they're not in your garden eating your veggies and they're putting all the 'bunny berries' in one spot under their hutch where it's easy to get to it for the garden. I give them a lot of weeds when weeding the garden and they speed compost that into bunny berries which then get put right back on the garden.

Since we get over enthusiastic string trimmers around here and the ground is too far away these days, the gardens are raised bed.

homegarden2.jpg

Stacked concrete blocks with bits of steel posts staked through the holes to hold them in place. Next time, I'll put a water pipe coming up through the corners, the pipe there is just sort of a handrail. It'd be nice to have a hose close by. At the moment, the onions are growing in the holes in the bricks and the lettuce and beans are in the actual garden bed. The brown hutch behind the garden is the nesting hutch and it's uphill of the garden so it's real easy to shovel bunny berries from under there into the garden.

Between the bunny berries for fertilizer and open pollinated seeds, the garden doesn't cost us much anymore. The lettuce is on generation about nine or ten by now. The onions are from the root ends of grocery store onions that were just stuck out there and they grew. They won't bulb, though, this being Hawaii and not the proper amount of sun for them, but the greens are tasty.

When it's time to plant, I'll put about three inches of bunny berries on the top of the garden and rake them into the top few inches of soil and then put in the seeds.

Latest posts

Back