Hi again, just rambling rabbits and other stuff

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zab

Reaction score
Well.. I feel a need to talk rabbits and stuff. And uh.. none of the bazillion other threads I've made felt right.. maybe I'll devote this one to my own personal rambling page? Because blogs ae too permanent... or something. And I know I'm horribly selfish to not respond to othr peoples threads and yet starts my own all the time.. I just don't have much to add or say even as I do read posts.

I suppose this could go to the coffee table, but some, maybe most, are rabbit related.

First of - missed a litter with Madra. A pity, I had hoped to get some replacements ffrom her, some that's more easy to breed and catch but still have her body. I let her date with Lakrits (the checkered giant) today, just to noice - as I filled in my scheduale - that she was rebred to Kori 15 days ago as well. Oh well, either that one will take (the others took with Kori only after I had tried to breed them to Lakrits...) or hopefully this one will. If she doesn't have a litter before the middle of june, she gets out of my breeding program.
Both Kummin and Kyndel are hopefuly expecting kits with Lakrits - the 10th of may and the 27th. Maybe I could use some of their offspring as replacements as well if they end up growing well. But that thought shall be saved for that day.

I feel horribly tired at the moment. And a bit stressed.. it may be leftovers from spring depression combined with a lot of rabbit losses and oddities. I'll be fine though. But I've had some bad luck - so much I wonder if I'm to blame for it, somehow. First 2 kits lost to rats. Tried securing the colony, lost a third one. Put the kits in a safer cage, and lost the fourth one to stomach-issues. Changed and secured the roof on the colony, let the kits back out. Was started to feel relieved just to find half a kit in a newly made hole in the ground... that was the fifth. Filled up the entire section of the colony with concrete and placed wire in the concrete in the least secure spots (where the ground rocks were small or had larger spces between them, as well as spots easy to access from the outside, for rats). A day or two later I found a kit with a broken leg.. *sigh* Well, it's a front leg and the kit hops around at least as much as the others, climbs, eaps, races around.. it shows no sign of pain even as I palpate the leg, but keeps it tucked to the chest and doesn't try to stretch it even when it ''has to'' (the test where you hold the other leg nd gently move the animal towards the floor or a table - if they have any control of the leg, they will try to stretch it and land on it even if it's injured). It happened a few days ago and everything still the same. I decided to leave it be - I don't think Metacam is safe for rabbits and I fear a bandage or wrapping ould just make it clumsy or even cause more pain etc. I have no idea what really happened or if the leg is actually fractured..but it's broke in some way.
As I was working with the concrete I hit my head in Koris cage and managd to give myself my first non-horse-related concussion. Not too bad, just felt a bit sick and dizzy for a few days. Lesson to learn: Dont get up hastily if you have a hard roof over your head.

This day is devoted to securing wire on the wood in the colony. And father has some idea to line the floor beams with metal. (the net leaves a few inches of just wood all around the floor of the colony). Once that's done I cross my fingers to keep the rats out. And their population will be put down as well. I really need some good stuff coming out of this now. Or at least a break from bad things.

And one fun thing has happened. I've been asked to co-author a book about keeping rabbits in colonies. I'm not sure why I was picked out for it seeing as I'm not very experienced, but it could be fun. I can talk about my own experiences at least, and share what knowledge I do have. And I guess I have pictures too. :lol:

I had this strange, non-rabbit related dream the other day. I was out with my school class in the home of a collecter. I'd say hoarder but she kept everything very organized and fresh, there was nothing yucky about it. But the entire apartment was filled out with stuff, small stuff, large stuff, broken or re-arranged stuff.. the class had to get in 6-7 at a time because no more would fit in there. It was so much things we lost each other and couldn't hear if the others were still there, so I almost thought I had been left alone there. Our assignment was to draw sketches of things in there. I was busy making a sketch of a fox scull lying on top of old, gold-lined books and wearing a pair of glasses and a blue feather. I really liked it, the light was wonderful, and I just got this feeling of a schooled fox. Then my phone rang. It was mom. She called to say she was going to marry, and asked me if that was ok. I said ''of course.. you're grown up.. eh.. who's the lucky one?" and she explained it was a turkish guy three years older than me. She asked if it was still ok.. well, she's till an adult. Well, I hung up and continued with my sketch, then it was time to go out. I ran to catch a train but forgot my bag so I had to turn back.. but I couldn't get back into the building so I didn't get my bag and I missed my train.
It was a really bizarre dream. ..or did I say dream? Sorry, I lied. It's not a dream. It actually happened. Everything of it. I got my bag back the next day.

I also had a long argument on another forum and this old lady (well she used her age to make me seem imature I guess) flipped and said she ''could crush me like a fly but wouldn't" :lol: yeah, how very kind of her. It did feel good to finally get some backup from the others (I had a good feeling they agreed more with me already before) but the funny part is that after evrything I've been through, I don't think an unknown lady on a forum is able to ''crush me completely''.. if anything, that one sentencxe relieved a lot of stress and I realized how silly the whole thing was.

uhm.. I've had a really good ride today as well. Crow was horribly bouncy at first but then we managed to sort it out and he was just wonderful. I rode the home made terrain trail with hils, paths and a few nice racing spots and he was just great.

School is going well. I feel a bit stressed out and anxious, but I knw I'm ahead of my group. Its a drawing and painting influenced course and I happen to be very fast when drawing and painting - both doing it and getting ideas for the themes we get. My friends tease me for it, even the teachers come with remarks at times. Like "Well let's get started, do you have any ideas yet? Well except Zab, I assume you're already finished?" It's all well meant, but it is strangely stressful to be faster than everyone else. I don't like sticking out.

Anything more rabbit related? hmm.. No. The 5 remaining kits are healthy (except that leg), the wound on the bitten one is heaing up really nicely. The does get along fine, Kyndel was really wellbehaving in her last date, I must really have timed that one well. I'm working on getting them used to fresh forage, letting them graze a bit at a time. I should build a rabbit tractor I suppose.. free rabit food is a good thing.

Before concrete:
919054_553977524654931_784445464_o.jpg

907001_553118264740857_614761597_o.jpg

The colony with concrete in the back:
465900_557257307660286_1024399201_o.jpg

Well.. breakfast time and then out to fix the wire..

If I were a rabbit....I'd want to live there LOL The sand is a very cool idea. I had read a website where they tried it out and you can pretty my recycle the sand. Just take the soiled sand, sift out the poop, and then hose it until the water runs clean, allow it to dry in the sun, and back to the colony it goes.

Even though you may not post often, I'm somewhat fascinated by what you have to write and say. Even the way to type on here can paint a picture in my mind. You're artistic physically and I believe also when you type it out!

I used sand in my chicken coop, and besides the problem with being heavy when shoveled, I loved it, and would use it again for a coop/colony.

I hope you are feeling better now... bumps on the head are no fun.

Sorry to hear about your problems, your rabittry looks wonderful though.

Thank you :)

coffeenutdesigns: Like Peach said I sift the sand. I rarely wash it, because the potty corners - where they pee - has straw instead of sand. I just put fresh straw over those when it's needed, and shovel it all up once or twice a week. If the sand starts to smell anything but sand, I'll wash it (the smell is quite clear when you sift it). The feeding area has no sand at all, I just sweap that area ito the closest potty corner before feeding. In Sweden, there are no wirefloors so all rabits have some sort of bedding. Sand isn't that common, but straw or shavings are. I prefer sand. If I'd have shavings or straw I'd just have to shovel the dirty pieces up. It is sanitary, fres and I really believe the rabbits enjoy having bedding material in their home. :) (saying this only because I know many people across the pond think of everything but wire as gross and unsanitary.. I think the oposite :lol: but I suppose that's how I grew up)

Peach: Thanks :) I got the sand idea from this board actually :) I like it, but decided to use it only where they don't pee. Wet sand is awful to try and sift and the washing and drying process is heavy on my back. I do it only when I need to. But I like how I won't accidentally step on a nest, all the bunny berries are visible, unlike with straw where they'll lie under it. Which probbably doesn't matter as they'll just dry up but I want it clean.. and the shavings show everything but makes it imposible to sift them out.. Sand was good :) And they really like rolling in it too :p

Hehe, not post often? I feel like I'm constantly whining on this board. Glad to hear that's not a general picture of me..

skysthelimit: Thanks :) Yes, I think the concussion is gone again. It was just a small one.

Ivory: Thank you :)

Sounds like you have a good setup with plenty of attention to ease of care ... and I am all about ease of care :p

Thank you :) I am trying to make it good for the buns and easy on me.

Sorry to hear of the rat problems, I had similar problems and it is no fun thinking you have everything taken care of, but they come back anyway. {{{{hugs}}}} Don't beat yourself up too much, it is very hard to make things pleasant for the rabbits, easy on you, AND keep out rats. I only wish I had had the foresight and stomach to take photos of my poor rat-shredded babies, to whip out any time someone said "oh, rats have to live too"! With all the neighbors who leave out petfood, plus the natural forage (it's Spring in Florida, go eat weeds, rats!), the fact they kill babies instead makes them EVIL in my book!

I have been in such a house as you describe, back when I was a child. The man was a hoarder, but for the fact he researched and labeled EVERYTHING, and opened his home to tours for some ridiculously low amount (even for back then). When he passed away, the city bought his collection and housed it in the old Spanish Governor's mansion and turned it into a museum with his name. Of course THEY charge a much higher fee to tour it!

:) *hugs back*

Good news are that there still has been no new rat attacks.. dae I start hoping? A little, perhaps.

Interesting :p

Back