Help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abco

Reaction score
Went into my rabbit shed 2 days ago to see that my pregnant doe had 2 kits. She was laying on her side so I figured she was just taking a rest. Next day I went in there and she was in exact same spot and her hind legs were completely limp and she had 8 more kits on the wire, 5 dead 3 alive. I have no idea what happened that she cant use her hind legs at all. Could it have been related to being in labor? Should I just put her down? Lastly is there anyone in Washington reading this that wants to take the kits? There are 4 still and my doe can't feed them.

You can hand feed kits, if you want to keep the babies. Here's a recipe for baby bunny milk made with mostly kitchen ingredients. The bone meal can be found in the garden section of a hardware store. https://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/blog/2018/20180801.html The hard part is to not get any milk up their nose or they die almost instantly.

Usually when a rabbit can't move the hind legs, it's a broken back, although I've never heard of one getting a broken back from giving birth. But it could be possible.

Did you have a nestbox?

If so, something could have badly startled her when she was kindling and she exited the nestbox badly and injured herself.

Pinch the skin between her back paws and see if she flinches. If she does not, she will NOT recover.

As to feeding the babies... I find using a pipette is best for little ones as you can very easily direct how much they get. It is a labour intensive process. My formula is 1 cup goat milk, 1 egg yolk, and 1 tsp honey. Feed every four-six hours until just under full (you don't want to overfeed them).

Best is to find a nursing doe and foster them over. Do you have any other nursing does? Could you put a call out on facebook (rabbit groups) for anyone local with a nursing doe?

Did you have a nestbox?

If so, something could have badly startled her when she was kindling and she exited the nestbox badly and injured herself.

Pinch the skin between her back paws and see if she flinches. If she does not, she will NOT recover.

As to feeding the babies... I find using a pipette is best for little ones as you can very easily direct how much they get. It is a labour intensive process. My formula is 1 cup goat milk, 1 egg yolk, and 1 tsp honey. Feed every four-six hours until just under full (you don't want to overfeed them).

Best is to find a nursing doe and foster them over. Do you have any other nursing does? Could you put a call out on facebook (rabbit groups) for anyone local with a nursing doe?
If she doesn't flinch does that mean it is a broken back? She flinches when I touch her lower back and a little on upper leg but there is no resistance at all if I pick her leg up or move it around.

i would euthanize at this point. if there's nothing going on with the hind legs the nerves to them are broken and won't regain anything. For her sake, a merciful end is the best you can offer her.

i would euthanize at this point. if there's nothing going on with the hind legs the nerves to them are broken and won't regain anything. For her sake, a merciful end is the best you can offer her.
That's what I ended up doing. There appeared to be spine damage towards the bottom of her back.

Back