Help with Kit’s Coloring

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolejcramer

House of Hollands
Reaction score
I need help identifying this kit’s coloring. At first glance the baby on the far left appears to be a VM cream, but both parents are “self” colored rabbits…so I’m stumped. Any suggestions?

Dam is a VM black and Sire is a VM blue

557B6787-51E4-447A-B5E0-B1C0E683C377.jpeg71BA57EA-02BF-4503-8501-D764626D33B7.jpeg

I need help identifying this kit’s coloring. At first glance the baby on the far left appears to be a VM cream, but both parents are “self” colored rabbits…so I’m stumped. Any suggestions?

Dam is a VM black and Sire is a VM blue
I can't see the jaw or belly in these photos, which would be white in a cream. But this kit doesn't have the light inner ears of an agouti, which is what a cream is (a dilute non-extension agouti).

Though it may just be the lighting/shadows, it does appear that the kit may have shading on the tail and lower flanks as well as in the ears. So it looks like it may be a dilute tort, either blue, or possibly lilac if there's chocolate in the background. That would make sense since a tort is a non-extension self.
InkedDilute tort kit.jpg

can't see the jaw or belly in these photos, which would be white in a cream. But this kit doesn't have the light inner ears of an agouti, which is what a cream is (a dilute non-extension agouti).

Though it may just be the lighting/shadows, it does appear that the kit may have shading on the tail and lower flanks as well as in the ears. So it looks like it may be a dilute tort, either blue, or possibly lilac if there's chocolate in the background. That would make sense since a tort is a non-extension self.
I agree. Even as newborns, you can see the white inner ears of an agouti rabbit (cream is a dilute agouti with the fawn non-extension 'ee' recessive gene, which removes the dark color on the body hair of the rabbit. 'ee' rabbits that are agouti are ideally all yellowish shades with no dark anywhere (fawn/cream/orange/red), but self non-agouti rabbits still retain dark color (black, chocolate, blue or lilac) on the points--head, ears, feet and tail.

Compare the inner ear color of the kit on the left:
1677081873872.png
To the third kit from the left:
1677081948220.png
Note the difference in the shading. The far left kit has very pale color in the ear, rather looks like lilac which is dilute chocolate. But the 3rd kit from the left has dark shading, looks more black than blue. Kits with yellowish/tan bodies and colored points are tortoiseshells, tort for short. Black torts are just called 'tort', the other variations have the point color in front, so one with lilac points would be a lilac tort.

I also agree with @Cosima, those right-side kits look like they have some harlequin markings:
1677082360546.png
Normal tort points shade from the legs into the coat color, not appear as bands or stripes. The left kit may as well, but it's hard to see lilac bands, there's just not enough color contrast.

Latest posts

Back