Help with 'impossible' genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judymac

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on an article about 'impossible' genetics, those times when the kits just don't fit the genetic ABCs, and how it can happen. Like when you breed two self-colored rabbits (recessive) and get an agouti kit. Or two white rabbits have a colored litter. Do you have an experience with an 'impossible' litter that you would be willing to share? I'd sure appreciate the help. If you have an 'impossible' story, please share info about the parents (and photos if you have them), and what kits were in the litter. Any clues from the pedigrees?

Judy you might be able to help me with this…I am just getting into rabbit genetics and am trying to learn as much as I can. I recently paired an orange buck with a cream doe, both of which are non-extension for the E allele, (ee,) correct?

In their litter that was born two weeks ago, there were 3 blue fawn harlequins. Shouldn’t this be impossible? Shouldn’t one parent have to carry the ej allele in order to produce harli’s? Or can it hide somewhere?
Everything I’ve read states that the ej is dominant over the e, so I’m just wondering how it would hide?9EA51379-E377-47B1-9AD7-1FAE1B18B70D.jpeg

Wonderful conundrum! Do you happen to have photos of the buck and doe? My suspicion is that one (or both) of the parents are lightly marked harlequins. Especially look around the edges of the ears or on the agouti markings. See any dark mottling?

Searle, in his genetics of mammals book (p. 129) has
1675781212889.png
("Japanese" is what the harlequin breed was originally called, which is why the code is e(j), 'j' for Japanese.)
I wonder if this is what happened to one of your parent rabbits? Any harlequin in the pedigree?

I think you must be right! So crazy. What we have thought is just smut on the orange buck’s back, must be a harlequin marking!! He most definitely has it in his pedigree.

Buck
40BFA687-021F-4321-AA5D-7FD582FBB71E.jpeg

Doe
C9D46160-9F56-4FB4-8E64-C8ED4440D196.jpeg

Latest posts

Back