Help with color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex2300

Reaction score
I am new to rabbits and my doe had just one kit! Does anybody know what color this kit is? I’m

Can we see pictures of the Kits, the Doe, and the Buck?
Colors on the pedigrees would be helpful too

I apologize lol…I don’t know what happened but yes, here is the kit! Kinda looks like a squirrel! The base of the fir on top is light, but the base of the hair in the bottom is dark. Is got some brown on the top of the head, but that the only brown! IMG_9959.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9955.jpeg
    IMG_9955.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9957.jpeg
    IMG_9957.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9954.jpeg
    IMG_9954.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The buck is a black self, though his parents are black self and broken black…the doe is REW and I know nothing of the pedigree

Attachments

• 0D713C54-D542-4F5B-AE51-5E43E104CFE0.jpeg
    0D713C54-D542-4F5B-AE51-5E43E104CFE0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9730.jpeg
    IMG_9730.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
ooh, interesting color.

So the kit is some version of agouti, we can tell that because of the white belly, etc. He doesn't look chinchilla to me, because he seems to have a lot of yellow left in the color, but there isn't ENOUGH yellow for a chestnut? maybe the best guess I have is "Opal" which I think is the fancy color name for Blue agouti?

Someone who is really up on their exotic colors will happen along and have a better guess I hope!

ooh, interesting color.

So the kit is some version of agouti, we can tell that because of the white belly, etc. He doesn't look chinchilla to me, because he seems to have a lot of yellow left in the color, but there isn't ENOUGH yellow for a chestnut? maybe the best guess I have is "Opal" which I think is the fancy color name for Blue agouti?

Someone who is really up on their exotic colors will happen along and have a better guess I hope!
That'd be my take too - opal, aka blue agouti.

I briefly debated blue or even lilac otter, which also has a creamy white belly and those hints of tan around the pale markings, but the surface color looks too inconsistent for an otter (which on its back looks like a self blue or lilac).

I also thought about a sable influence, as that often makes kits look like a frosty pale blue about this age; and the self black sire doesn't look pure black, though that could be molt fading or photo/lighting effects that I see. But sable <c(chl)> blocks all pheomelanin production, so you wouldn't see those tan markings. Also, the soles of its feet are pretty standard blue-gray rather than the sepia/chocolatey hue you'd see in a sable.
hint of tan.jpghint of tan 2.jpggray footpads.jpg

So, yeah...opal. :)

Latest posts

Back