Help with 13 day old eyes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnInn

Reaction score
HI! I'm new to this board, :) I have a litter of 3 Holland Lops who will be 2 weeks old tomorrow, and eyes are still closed! I tried this afternoon to help open them with some warm water and cloths, but they did not want to open easily, so I wasn't succesful. :( There is no pus or gunk at all around their eyes. I can clearly see where the two eyelids are connected by a tiny white membrane, and in that membrane there are small holes where I see a small part of the baby's eyes....should I just wait and see? Any advise/tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

:? That sounds odd. Usually it is clearly a case of crust "gluing" the eyelids shut. It would be helpful if you could post pictures.

I would try again with the warm water and wipe gently toward the outside corners- maybe now that they are already moistened it will work.

Welcome to RT! There are quite a few lop lovers here. :) Good luck with the babies!

I had a baby bun who had an eye stay shut, and it did not appear to have any gunk holding it shut. We moistened it with a warm, wet cotton ball, and after that we were able to see some gluey stuff. I put Neosporin on the stuck eyelids. It finally did open after a day or two, but the little bun was blind in that eye.

I agree with MamaSheepdog... I'd keep going at it with warm water cloths. Nestbox eye can cause blindness if those eyes don't get opened up soon. :( Don't force, though... just work on them.

:clover:

I had one like this...if you *gently* pull the eyelids apart, starting at the inner corner, it should come open. If it won't respond to gentle pulling, leave it another day and try again. It should just peel apart.

Poopy! Just tried again, one of the bunnies eye is coming a bit, but the others are stuck. :s should I try some ointment?!

It couldn't hurt, but it would be better if it was ointment made for eyes...ie, Terramycin or some other opthalmic ointment.

Or if you don't have any ointment, a regular teabag moistened in warm water, held over the eye until it cools, then repeat if gentle prying doesn't work. The tea is astringent and soothing and won't hurt the eyes. But, keep at it ... they should be open by now. And, once you get them open once, you may still have to soak them again for another day or two each time they wake ... another good reason for bringing the nestbox in (the first reason being it is fun to play with the babies :lol:)

Back