Help! What can I breed my girls with?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllaBella

Reaction score
:bunnyhop: I have a chestnut doe (sire: Broken Black Tort) (dam: black Chestnut) and a BEW doe (sire: BEW with family history of black and BEW) (dam: VM Chestnut- family history of chocolate and black fuzzy and BEW). I want to breed each of them but have no clue what color buck to get.
Since my chestnut doe’s parents have recessive a’s and e’s, does that mean she has recessive a’s and e’s? I know she has the dominant A but wondering if I need her to something with 2 recessives, if I might get some babies that aren’t chestnut.
I’d like to get just 1 buck for both of them. I’d love some VM babies from my BEW ❤️ Thanks for any help!!!

What breed?
Remember that VM are not desirable from a showing standpoint unless you are breeding for BEW
Finding something with a recessive a and e (such a black tort) would probably get more variety from the chestnut doe. A broken black tort would give those the chance of being broken too. That's what I would personally look for if trying to get the most colors possible. Every kit from the BEW has a chance of being VM, no matter what you breed her to (except kits that turn out BEW), but it's advised to keep chocolate and sable lines away from BEW as they can mess up the blue eye color.

They are Holland Lops. Not breeding to show- just for my own babies to keep. I really want cream/fawn color buns but I’m guessing with my girls that would be impossible to get unless dad is one of those. I’d like some with VM as well.

Fawn is likely if you breed the chestnut to a tort. It's a combination of agouti and non-extension; if it gets the agouti and non extension from the chestnut you can get fawn. And we know your chestnut carries non extension if she's out of a broken tort.

Any self color (black, blue, chocolate....) will give you self and agouti (chestnut, red, lynx...) colors from the chestnut and any nonextension color (torts if self, red/fawn/orange if agouti) will give you more of those. That's the only certainty so for recessives a tort would result in the most colors from what is known with chestnut, red/fawn/orange(name often depends on breed), black, and tort offspring at minimum.

BEW is like REW in that it covers all colors so it's hard to say what genes that doe definitely has. There should be self unless the sire was agouti due to a BEW parent being agouti. The doe may only be self though so if bred to the same black tort in that case would only produce black with some VM for certain. With a chocolate tort or black carrying chocolate (chocolate parent or has thrown chocolate offspring) you have some potential for chocolate but no guarantee. You need another VM or BEW to get more BEW.

Latest posts

Back