Help? Siamese vs Sable Point vs Sallander

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighairbuns

Reaction score
Hi! First I'd like to thank all the posters here at rabbittalk. I've been lurking for months and have learned so much!

I was hoping someone out here could help me figure out the color and genetics of a new bun of mine. She was purchased at auction and I, unfortunately, know nothing about her background.

image.php

So, I think she is a vienna marked black based rabbit with sable. I don't think she has any dilution genes based on the color of her face, the blue eyes coming from the vienna, I am willing to admit I could be completely wrong here. Please correct me if I am!

Where I am tripping up is determining if she is a siamese or a dark sable/seal point. What should I be looking for here to figure out the difference?

I'm thinking she is either

a/a B/- Cchl/(ch or c) D/- E/- V/v (siamese sable)

or

a/a B/- Cchl/Cchl D/- e/e V/v (dark seal point)

Does that sound right? Or am I completely off base with the sable gene all together and what I really have is a Sallander?

Any and all insight is greatly appreciated.

She's definitely not siamese sable. She's too light and creamy for that. I'd say she's either a seal point or a sallander, you can't tell the two apart just by looking at them.

SableSteel":2qwbagsc said:
She's definitely not siamese sable. She's too light and creamy for that. I'd say she's either a seal point or a sallander, you can't tell the two apart just by looking at them.

Thank you very much. That is a big help :)

Back