HELP RABBIT PEEING BLOOD

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyWabbit

Reaction score
Hi all,

So two days ago, I found a pool of red pee in the cage. At first, I thought it was pee with pigment in it, since my rabbits have been eating various plants. However, when I wiped it using a napkin and took a closer look, I saw blood in it. Im sure it’s blood because after a while, it turned brown and it smelled like blood too. Visiting the vet is not an option, as I don’t have extra money. I have 2 rabbits, and I’m not sure who peed out blood. My rabbits are about 2 years old and are not neutered. I don’t know if they are in pain. They seem normal though, eating, drinking and happily hopping around. However, they sometimes do the peeing position (front legs close to back legs and tail up) but pee does not come out. Can the rabbits recover on their own? Again, I cannot visit the vet, and I’m praying that they can recover on their own. I am super worried.

Thanks

Sorry, I haven't had this issue before in rabbits, but I know there are some threads on here that I have read before about blood in urine. Have you found anything helpful in the older threads, by chance?

Was just talking about this recently in this thread, where I linked a helpful infographic and website. Red urine is not cause for immediate alarm. Take some of the pee and dump hydrogen peroxide in it. If it doesn't foam up, there is not blood present. If it does foam, there is blood present and we'll need to help troubleshoot that for you. It could be a UTI. Let us know the results!

Was just talking about this recently in this thread, where I linked a helpful infographic and website. Red urine is not cause for immediate alarm. Take some of the pee and dump hydrogen peroxide in it. If it doesn't foam up, there is not blood present. If it does foam, there is blood present and we'll need to help troubleshoot that for you. It could be a UTI. Let us know the results!
It’s blood, I’m sure

Did you try the peroxide test? I've had dark urine with my rabbits that turn darker/brownish with time and it wasn't blood. Is the colour evenly distributed or can you distinctly see red patches in the urine? Not doubting you, just want to be certain.

The first thing I would do is separate the two to 1) determine who has the blood and 2) prevent the other from getting ill just in case the cause is infectious.

What are you feeding them? Perhaps there is too much calcium in their diet and the blood is being caused by calcium stones. Is there a sandy-looking sludge in the urine? If the rabbit has pain with urination, that could be why you are seeing them squat to pee but nothing happens. They could also be stretching or pooping-- sometimes my rabbits get that look, too. If it seems like there is a calcium build-up in the urine, that can potentially cause a blockage. Blockages are very dangerous for the rabbit and can be fatal. If it is a severe blockage, only surgery will help. Less severe can be helped with diet change to decrease calcium (alfalfa is a big culprit) and encouraging more water intake.

Has their water intake decreased at all? UTIs can sometimes cause blood and you'll need to make sure the rabbits are staying hydrated. UTIs would be treated better with antibiotics, but can go away on their own. Just make sure there is plenty of water for them. Decrease calcium in their diet as well, since UTIs can be caused by that. Perhaps add some electrolytes in their water to help keep them adequately hydrated.

Have you checked their bum and genital area? Is there a wound? Stuck poop causing blockage and irritation? Any sign of vent disease or anything else out of the ordinary?

What are their genders? Is it possible one of them is pregnant? You can see blood from a miscarriage or some rougher births.

Has there been any weight loss? Are the gums pale? It's a good sign that they seem to be moving around and acting fine. If you notice them acting sluggish or lethargic, there is something more serious happening. Intact does could develop uterine cancer and intact bucks could develop testicular cancer, both of which can cause blood in urine. Unfortunately, there wouldn't be much to be done without vet intervention if it is cancer. Castration or hysterectomy can help if the cancer hasn't spread to the rest of the body.

Back