Help! Rabbit is Lethargic and Not Pooping

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Good evening,
Unfortunately, this winter is proving to be troublesome for my rabbits. They're in outdoor hutches, but we were unable to get one rabbit hutch finished in time for winter so that hutch has a tarp covering the back, a wooden roof, and wooden sides. Due to lack of space in our small suburban yard, it is also usually facing the wind. The rabbits have wooden boxes to huddle in, but my favorite Mini Lop buck cannot fit into his box, because he's a little chunker. :lol: I was worried and away from home during a snow/sleet/rain mix with harsh winds, hoping they could fend for themselves until I returned, but sure enough; the smaller rabbits (Polish buck and Dutch buck) were just peachy, but poor Bruce had ice slurry all in his coat! So I brought him inside, dried him off, and put him in a spare emergency indoor cage.
Now he's acting happy, like he perks up a bit when I pet him and isn't sitting funny or teeth grinding, but he hasn't moved since he got in the new cage. He is eating hay, and he ate a couple of papaya tablets, but there is not any poo in his cage, and its been 5 hours, so I'm a little worried. Would the temperature change (from 30 degrees F to 68 degrees F) be a problem? Is there something I can do for him besides papaya tablets and probios? He's my favorite bunny, and I would hate for something to happen to him.
Thanks in advance!!
-Dutchess

Hi,

It might be that his digestion slowed down somewhat when he was cold, 5 hours wouldn't put me on red alert, maximum amber. If he isn't back to his normal self by now I would try to make him eat, offer whatever he's used to. Also a tummy massage might help to get things going, and some Simethicone to prevent gas buildup.
If he is used to greens I would give them wet to get some additionial water into him. If he's not used to any greens you can still offer some leaves of roses, raspberry, blackberry, apple tree, or narrowleaf plantain, usually I can find some of those in winter.
Does he drink enough? If not syringe feeding him some water might be helpful.

Back