Help please! Newly adopted doe is pregnant and nursing!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I adopted a small doe with two kits last week and I gave her a few days to settle in before handling her and she feels quite pregnant to me! Her kits are almost 4 weeks old. Haven’t had a doe with babies in years.

How do I make sure she’s getting enough calories? I’m feeding her free choice Blue Seal Show Hutch, some Kaytee Fiesta and all the Timothy hay she wants. Her kits are really chubby and she’s a wonderful mom but I worry that she won’t have enough for all of them..

Ideas greatly appreciated! I definitely wasn’t prepared for this but I have a nesting box ready. So that’s something.

Thanks,
TJ

Sounds like your doing everything perfectly! When is she due?
I have no idea when she was covered. I’ve only had her a few days, not quite a week. The former owner is ignoring my texts so I have to assume that it’s intentional. The doe is very sweet and is a wonderful mother to the two kits that she has. They were kindled August 4. Should I assume that she was bred immediately after kindling? The kits are 4 weeks old. That would make today Day 27!

Should I move them into a larger cage and add a nest box? It’s made of 1x1/2” wire and J clamps.

I have no idea when she was covered. I’ve only had her a few days, not quite a week. The former owner is ignoring my texts so I have to assume that it’s intentional. The doe is very sweet and is a wonderful mother to the two kits that she has. They were kindled August 4. Should I assume that she was bred immediately after kindling? The kits are 4 weeks old. That would make today Day 27!

Should I move them into a larger cage and add a nest box? It’s made of 1x1/2” wire and J clamps.
Wean the kits for now, she will take them back if she doesn't kindle. I would separate her and watch her closely.

I will get a cage ready for the little ones right next to their mom. I very lightly palpated her again and she is almost definitely pregnant. She feels nothing like my other does.
Thank you for your help Mini Lop Mama!!
Wean the kits for now, she will take them back if she doesn't kindle. I would separate her and watch her closely.

I will get a cage ready for the little ones right next to their mom. I very lightly palpated her again and she is almost definitely pregnant. She feels nothing like my other does.
Thank you for your help Mini Lop Mama!!
Of course, let me know if you have any other questions. What kind of rabbit it she?

The problem I see is the current Kits being very young, especially for being weaned
Do you have any other Doe with Kits around the same age?

just wean the kits now. They will be just fine. I'm assuming they are eating and drinking. Give a wee bit of hay daily for a bit, make no big changes to their diet, and they will be just fine. :)

The problem I see is the current Kits being very young, especially for being weaned
Do you have any other Doe with Kits around the same age?
That was my main concern with weaning them so early. They are both very healthy and vibrant and eat and drink well. Plus she nurses them any time they want. Would it make any sense to remove them from her space but let them return to nurse once per day and then return them to their own cage?

Attachments

• 8E1D6D4E-5F06-41EA-B71C-E8017CDD8513.jpeg
    8E1D6D4E-5F06-41EA-B71C-E8017CDD8513.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
I thought kits normally weaned around 4 weeks. She's pushing her deadline but I suppose mother nature will do her thing. Give her as much protein as possible. Nice of you to take on someone elses problems but you may need that meat this winter. Maybe it's a blessing. I'm giving my doe 6 weeks off then breeding her again.

I thought kits normally weaned around 4 weeks. She's pushing her deadline but I suppose mother nature will do her thing. Give her as much protein as possible. Nice of you to take on someone elses problems but you may need that meat this winter. Maybe it's a blessing. I'm giving my doe 6 weeks off then breeding her again.
I think the Show hutch is 17% protein and she’s definitely gaining weight. At first she felt a little thin and then I realized she was pregnant too so I started loading her up with food. Also have been giving her some greens and a little spinach for the extra calcium. I just wish I’d known right away but at least I know now. It very well may be a blessing, I agree.

I recently had this situation. I didn't realize that my doe had gotten pregnant about a week after she kindled. So kits were 5 weeks when new litter was born, but I'm pretty sure she weaned them at 4 weeks. They are all fine now, both litters. But the day she gave birth I saw her lunge at a kit and so I removed her. I would have done it sooner if I had realized she was pregnant. I think I was in denial 😅

Kits are weaned at 6-8 weeks
Bigger rabbits near six, and smaller rabbits near eight

I recently had this situation. I didn't realize that my doe had gotten pregnant about a week after she kindled. So kits were 5 weeks when new litter was born, but I'm pretty sure she weaned them at 4 weeks. They are all fine now, both litters. But the day she gave birth I saw her lunge at a kit and so I removed her. I would have done it sooner if I had realized she was pregnant. I think I was in denial 😅
Good catch! They are quick.

The kits are doing fine in their own cage right next to mom. No problem there. I don’t she appreciated being separated but it’s just in a nick of time.

This afternoon I let her out to clean up her cage and put fresh everything in and while I had it outside being disinfected. When I came back inside she was running around gathering hay in her mouth that I’d swept up and was putting a nest together in the corner. How much longer will it be from this point? I have given her a nesting box and clean litter box in the clean cage. Lots of hay, pellets and a bit of privacy in the corner she chose. Am I missing anything?

The kits are doing fine in their own cage right next to mom. No problem there. I don’t she appreciated being separated but it’s just in a nick of time.

This afternoon I let her out to clean up her cage and put fresh everything in and while I had it outside being disinfected. When I came back inside she was running around gathering hay in her mouth that I’d swept up and was putting a nest together in the corner. How much longer will it be from this point? I have given her a nesting box and clean litter box in the clean cage. Lots of hay, pellets and a bit of privacy in the corner she chose. Am I missing anything?
Anytime now, when she pulls fur it's final countdown ha

And there’s more nesting and fur pulling.. she looks quite uncomfortable in general but it looks like she’s getting ready to go. She’s done this before and I know she’s a great mom so I’m not worried, just getting really excited.

Her weaned kits are still thriving thankfully.

Back