Help planning rabbit garden

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homestead Hope

Reaction score
Ok so I know what I want to plan in the rest of the garden and the rabbits will get greens from the plants there that are safe for them but I'm going to have a 10' x 6' raised box just for the rabbits. I'm in the north and our growing season is short so I have to think about over wintering. I'd love to not have to buy pellets at all but I'm not that optimistic.

Only 3-4 rabbits will over winter in the garage.

I'd thought of doing a row of sunflowers, some alfalfa, some Timothy, and I think rye or barley were on my list but I can't find it right now (my list). However,I was wondering if anyone had there own suggestions for the plot.

Also, I've heard of some people storing grass clippings, we have an acre, could I collect the clippings, dry them and store them for the winter? Is there any weeds I should be wary of or keep an eye out for?

Side note: is anyone familiar with panicum virgatum (switchgrass). I have a ton of it growing in an untreated field next to my house.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome Homestead Hope!

I too am growing a rabbit garden this year. Living in a warmer climate, I have more options, but I would re-think the grasses/grains in a small raised bed. You won't get much from that small space. If you want grasses, maybe till up a row in your yard and plant more? The grasses/grains can be dried and stored. You just have to make sure to avoid rot and mold.

In the garden bed, I would plant some fast growing greens. I have never lived in your neck of the woods, but maybe look for some romaine type lettuces, beets, turnips.

Switchgrass is a common animal graze. Not too sure on its specific nutrition make up, though.

Hi Homestead Hope. On our old property I used to dry our grass clippings. I used a lawnmower with a grasscatcher on it then I'd spread it in the sun in a very thin layer and turned it 2-3 times a day until it was dry, usually 2-3 days. I never had enough to store. We had a donkey and a pony and some rabbits we gave it to as it was ready. :)

I'm planning on growing the following for my rabbits:

sunflowers
okra
amaranth
millet
radishes
carrots
sunchokes (above ground parts)
oatgrass
clover
wheatgrass (in a garden patch)

plus they will get surplus from what I'm growing for myself, plus the leftover plant matter from what I grow for myself.

Don't forget to grow some weeds!
Dandelions, chicory, Queen Anne's lace, shephard's purse, plantain are all worthwhile. Shepherd's purse and plantain are both great for poopy butt and are also good forage.
A lavender plant is useful for stalled labour or retained kits. You can dry the flower buds for winter use.
A mint plant is good for drying up a doe. Again, the leaves can be dried.

In your climate, do consider growing wheat or barley grass as fodder indoors for winter use.

Latest posts

Back