Help on Rex color....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
So, I have a doe that is a Chocolate Rex/Chocolate Cal cross. I bred her back to her Chocolate Rex sire and I got two apparently solid chocolates and four pink ones....One chocolate died and of the four pinks, one is now a very soft brownish red color...Could this be an Amber? Or what?

0912120613a.jpg

Amber is a dilute agouti, neither parent is an agouti.<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am __________<br /><br />maybe a lilac?

skysthelimit":30doh3l0 said:
Amber is a dilute agouti, neither parent is an agouti.

__________ Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:36 am __________

maybe a lilac?

No, I have Lilacs and they are usually a soft dove grey color at this age. This one is sort of a caramel color....

Sounds interesting. A mystery color, maybe we will only be able to tell as time goes on. Can't wait for more picts in a few days.

Milk chocolate? :lol:

Adorable little niece and nephew popples! It will be interesting to see the quality of their Rex coats. :)

What are the little dark speckles on them? Are they getting peed on?

MamaSheepdog":1eqd9jht said:

Adorable little niece and nephew popples! It will be interesting to see the quality of their Rex coats. :)

Well, this litter is 3/4 Rex, so I expect at least some of them to have Rex coats. Working towards two different things with this...Chocolate Cal and Cal Rex...totally an experiment but lots of fun!

Not sure about the pee but once the fur is all the way in, the speckles disappear. Their nest does not feel wet and they don't smell like pee, so I don't think she is peeing on them.

MamaSheepdog":1h57jui4 said:

:lol: If only...

Lilac would have been my guess too only because they are lighter even though they don't look very lilac-y. My chocolate torts look exactly like that at that age. Are chocolate torts a possibility? Only time will tell.

OneAcreFarm":1gj4vqzw said:
MamaSheepdog":1gj4vqzw said:

Well, this litter is 3/4 Rex, so I expect at least some of them to have Rex coats. Working towards two different things with this...Chocolate Cal and Cal Rex...totally an experiment but lots of fun!

Not sure about the pee but once the fur is all the way in, the speckles disappear. Their nest does not feel wet and they don't smell like pee, so I don't think she is peeing on them.

I get those spots on my holland kits, and only the hollands.

Himi is such a strange gene. Siamese/Sable points are on that locus as well.

aa_B_Cch_D_ee Himalayan Extended
aa_B_Cch_ddE_ Blue Himalayan
aa_B_Cch_ddee Blue Himalayan, Extended

aa_bbCch_D_E_ Chocolate Himalayan
aa_bbCch_D_ee Chocolate Himalayan, Extended

aa_bbCch_ddE Lilac Himalayan
aa_bbCch_ddee Lilac Himalayan, Extended

Not sure what they mean by extended.

:popcorn: Some kind of tort maybe? :popcorn:

0913120715.jpg

0913120715a.jpg

0913120715b.jpg

__________ Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:55 am __________

LindseysWoolies":2xnx0i5p said:
looks like it could be chocolate tort

You might be right...it is starting to look more tort to me as well. Hard to tell in the pics, tho.<br /><br />__________ Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:57 am __________<br /><br />On an interesting side note, Princess Fussy Pants is an excellent mother! She may grumble and fuss, but when I put the nestbox in last night, she hopped right in and fed them. They all looked about to burst when she was done! LOL This morning when I went to get them, she had fed them again and they all had round tummies.

A grumbly rabbit is much easier to deal with when she's a good mom as well, love the colours, have zero clue what they'll be :)

the second and third picts looks like tort, except the pink spot behind the ears confuses me. think you could package one and send it to me? I'd love to have some standard sized torts in the herd.

tort<br /><br />__________ Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:44 pm __________<br /><br />I want some tort Rexes!!!!!

Attachments

• SS850454.JPG
    SS850454.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 246

Latest posts

Back