Help! Infection spreading

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamalana

Reaction score
Hi. I inherited some meat rabbits and one had an eat that flopped down (New Zealand), I investigated and found what looked like a botfly. I treated the infection with vasciline, which is what we have always done since living in Costa Rica. It was looking better, still a little puss, but going down. I left it alone since it seemed to really stress him out to treat him. I thought it would heal up. Today his eye is swollen and pussy. Its the same side as the infection behind his ear. It is really, really hot out today and all the rabbits are panting a lot. Any ideas what to do?

Attachments

• IMG_20230729_133601_243.jpg
    IMG_20230729_133601_243.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
That sounds like it has created an abscess. The rabbit is clearly in quite a bit of pain right now--causing more pain and stress to fix him up is the lesser of two evils, because he is pretty miserable.

Options depend on your resources. This is a case where a vet is helpful, or at least another strong, capable, and steady pair of hands. You will need to really clean it, and get it to open so that it can drain, which could be messy, stressful, painful and fairly gross, then you will need to keep it open with daily wound cleaning care so that it can drain as it heals. Antibiotics would be a good idea as well. Alternatively, you should consider euthanasia--if these are meat rabbits you inherited, and you not ethically opposed to animal harvest, then it is time to consider that option.

It is going to take either a fair bit of money or effort to fix him, going forward. Unfortunately it does not look like something that will resolve on its own, you need to take some action.

Thanks for your feedback. We put some coconut oil on it and its going down, bit we are also considering harvesting him, however I am concerned the infection could taint the meat. Also, we have never dewormed him since we caught him. The meat rabbits were feral, so I had to catch them. Is he safe to eat?

Also, no, I did not leave the botfly in there. We have dealt with hundreds of botflies raising livestock in Costa Rica. Botflies there love cows and goats, so we got good at taking care of them.

Is he safe to eat?
I would consider the meat "edible but not choice" as stress/pain tends to leave behind a taste I do not prefer. I would feed the body to meat-eating animals but for the head, I would compost all of the infected and surrounding material. I would make sure to add extra carbon, ash, or charcoal.

Also, no, I did not leave the botfly in there. We have dealt with hundreds of botflies raising livestock in Costa Rica. Botflies there love cows and goats, so we got good at taking care of them.
So interesting!

Sorry to hear the infection is spreading, it's definitely not looking good. I personally would euthanize; the stress and pain of treatment seems to me like it would be too much for him. I don't think I would eat the meat, but like a commenter above, would feed to meat eating animals. Not a fun start, sorry you're dealing with this! Poor guy, it's hard when they're not used to being handled.

Latest posts

Back