Help~ I have a 4-week old escapee

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy's Mom

Reaction score
Help! My doe has a litter of 4 week olds. They were born in a tractor that has a tarp over part of it for dry/warmth. One got out from tractor and is hiding our in bushes that separate yard from woods (home to fox, coyote, coons, opossums and birds of prey.) I thought this new tractor was secure, until 2 days ago when I had my first escapees... but they just hung out between tarp and the tractor. I rounded them up and made some mods (zip-tied smaller opening fencing to the part of tractor with largest openings) that I thought addressed how they got out, but this afternoon one was out and had ventured farther from home, all the way to tge bushes by the woods. She won't let me let anywhere near her. 2 Questions... Will this kit go back to the tractor at "nursing time" (assuming it is still nursing)? This little one is eating a ton of grass/weeds/seedlings that she has not been conditioned to (has had access to pellets and hay, and only teeny bits of fresh greens as they are just starting to grow where I live. Will she be sick/dead from this food change? EDIT TO ADD: Got her home! I put some pellets in a dish at opening of tarp and there she was when I went back after posting! Still wondering about the effect of all the stuff she nibbled on in her travels...

Last edited:
I've never had any problems with kits eating greens when leaving the hutch, even when she just got a little before that should have trained her. Keep us updated how she does.

I made a DIY marten box trap, didn't catch a marten with it but some rats - and escapees. I put it where I think they got out, put pellets and whatever they like in it and check every hour, doesn't take long.

I've never had any problems with kits eating greens when leaving the hutch, even when she just got a little before that should have trained her. Keep us updated how she does.

I made a DIY marten box trap, didn't catch a marten with it but some rats - and escapees. I put it where I think they got out, put pellets and whatever they like in it and check every hour, doesn't take long.
Thanks I will. I think in the meantime I am going to run some temp. fencing around where the tractor us to contain any Houdinis that might try to wander.

Back