Help, green poop

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annahemond

Reaction score
I have two baby bunnies I took in. We accidently hit the nest killing the mom and one baby with our mower. Got them around 4-5 days old. They are now around 11 days old. Eyes are open. I started giving then vitadrops and bene bac plus after researching online. Probiotic has been given every other day like it said to do for a week in directions. One of the bunnies has a very light green poop. They usually have balls of brown poop. This is soft(not ball formed) but also not watery. Eating about the same as it normally has been, a little less enthusiastic about it then normal. Could it be from the bene pac and vita drops? I have not fed them any real food. Just kmr with heavy whipping cream and then those two things added recently.

From your description, it sounds like these are baby cottontails.
Green poo at that age is often a symptom of mucoid enteritis.
Mucoid enteritis can quickly kill baby rabbits, sometimes even without symptoms. If this is what is going on here, I have my fingers crossed for you.

I'd say the probiotics are a good thing. I've never seen or used the vita drops, but they don't sound bad?

I've read at least one report that says that bacteria from human hands can be enough to cause enteritis in cottontials, and there has been some antecedental evidence that suggests that bacteria on human hands can also cause it in baby domestic rabbits.

(I've noticed over the years that children from the doe's family can generally handle kits without fear, but there seems to be a high rate of mysterious deaths after unfamiliar children handle kits. My suspicion is that the dam passes immunity to bacteria she's been exposed to through her milk, but cannot protect from strains she's never built immunity towards. )

Wild cottontails have no immunity at all, and are especially susceptible.

Kmr is also not my go-to for feeding kits, because baby rabbits and cats have extremely different needs.

Their best chance of survival is to get them to a wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible.
If they are cottontails, I feel the need to mention that keeping them yourself is illegal in most parts of the united states.

I have called almost a dozen centers that all say “at full capacity due to covid. I planned to release them once they were weaned off the milk. I never implied I was keeping them as pets.

Zass":15c8pyea said:
From your description, it sounds like these are baby cottontails.
Green poo at that age is often a symptom of mucoid enteritis.
Mucoid enteritis can quickly kill baby rabbits, sometimes even without symptoms. If this is what is going on here, I have my fingers crossed for you.

I'd say the probiotics are a good thing. I've never seen or used the vita drops, but they don't sound bad?

I've read at least one report that says that bacteria from human hands can be enough to cause enteritis in cottontials, and there has been some antecedental evidence that suggests that bacteria on human hands can also cause it in baby domestic rabbits.

(I've noticed over the years that children from the doe's family can generally handle kits without fear, but there seems to be a high rate of mysterious deaths after unfamiliar children handle kits. My suspicion is that the dam passes immunity to bacteria she's been exposed to through her milk, but cannot protect from strains she's never built immunity towards. )

Wild cottontails have no immunity at all, and are especially susceptible.

Kmr is also not my go-to for feeding kits, because baby rabbits and cats have extremely different needs.

Their best chance of survival is to get them to a wildlife rehabilitator as soon as possible.
If they are cottontails, I feel the need to mention that keeping them yourself is illegal in most parts of the united states.

I have called almost a dozen centers that all say “at full capacity due to covid. I planned to release them once they were weaned off the milk. I never implied I was keeping them as pets.

That's good, because I never accused you of keeping them as pets.
Having them in your possession at all is illegal (in most areas, know your local laws,) and that does include rehabbing them yourself for the purpose of returning them.

It wasn't intended to offend, it's just so you are aware of the situation.

Covid sure does make things more difficult. :( I'm sorry you are having a hard time with that. To be honest though, it can hard to find centers willing to take in baby rabbits even without covid.

When I had to bottlefeed, I used Miss M's concentrated goats milk formula on this site. It's very rich, and the closest thing I've seen to real rabbit milk.
Another pro tip I've seen mentioned on here is that there is a powdered colostrum for goats or sheep that can be a game changer when it comes to very young rabbits.

Back