help for my sick doe.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundarybunnyco

Reaction score
Gretchen, my flemish doe, is sick. she hasn't been eating well and is pretty lethargic. she has mushy poops. they smell funny, not like regular bunny poops. I gave her oatmeal and she wouldn't eat it. I gave her some BOSS and she did eat that.
Her stomach doesn't feel bloated. Her spine is very easy to feel. I know she's losing weight. What else can I try? I also wondered if stress can cause this. I put her in a cage adjoining freaky spastic doe right before she started acting sick.

Any mucous? You can try feeding her pineapple, and syringing gatorade, or pedialyte, some probiotic gel if possible. Mine's went on like this for nearly four days, until she aborted her whole litter.

Good suggestions, Sky. I would add that extra heat would probably help. Is there somewhere you could put her where you could safely put a 40 or 60 watt bulb near the cage?

MamaSheepdog":hux2zc16 said:
Good suggestions, Sky. I would add that extra heat would probably help. Is there somewhere you could put her where you could safely put a 40 or 60 watt bulb near the cage?

Good idea. I brought mine in the house, in my bedroom.

boundarybunnyco":2ws3vpq0 said:
I can bring her in. is canned pineapple okay?

Yep. Syringe the juice into her mouth, and see if you can convince her to eat the pineapple.

Hmmm does it smell really bad, really runny and water like? Maybe its coccidia? I know some times they don't get a water bottle belly but stink really badly.

Be careful with canned pineapple, most are OK but some are canned in sugar syrup which isn't good.

Fresh is usually best with anything... but if you only have canned maybe rinsing the chunks well and soaking in water will remove the excess sugars, especially if you drain the water and replace with fresh a few times.

Coccidia was my thought too, since she does not have mucous. I would for sure get some Probios into her too. We keep the biggest tube we can get on hand at all times. Works wonders...

What type of probios do you guys use? The type for horses? I wonder if they make one for goats? Since they have a similar diet to rabbits, that might be the best option...

I use the Probios for horses, as they have the most similar digestion.<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:47 pm __________<br /><br />I think you will need SulMet for the coccidia, isn't that right?

If it is coccidia, my opinion is to cull ASAP, then sanitize everything the rabbit came in contact with. If you don't want todo this, then I would at least quarantine her.

I would not cull a rabbit for Coccidiosis.
I would treat with a Coccidiostate like Corrid.
I would isolate the rabbit from the rest of the herd
and treat/feed and water her last so as not to infect
the rest of the herd. Coccidia may be present in most
or all of the members of the herd, it only gets noticed
when for some other reason the rabbits resistance is
broken down and the Coccidia grow in vast numbers.
That is what makes treatment necessary. If your rabbit
is important to your breeding program it is worth the effort
and time to treat, if not than perhaps euthanasia is the correct choice.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

how do I know if it is coccidia? and if she has it, would it be possible to treat the whole herd just in case? I got two new does and a cage from a breeder not long ago, and now I'm starting to have problems. I did clean the cage, but I didn't quarantine the new does. And then I started losing kits. and if it is coccidia, then the meat of the rabbits is not safe for human or animal food?
I have 38 rabbits of varying ages.

There is no reason not to eat the meat of rabbits infected with coccidiosis. Just don't use the organ meat, especially the liver. Coccidiosis infects either the liver or the intestines, not the muscle meat. Just cook it well to make yourself feel comfortable with it.

Some people treat the whole herd when they suspect coccidiosis, but I have no experience with this so will leave it to others to answer.

Latest posts

Back