Help finding out what’s under the REW!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyoWool

Reaction score
Can anyone break down REW color rules for me?

Due to a stroke of tremendous luck, I find three REWs in my barn of great quality. A Doe and her two sons.

I’m having a hard time understanding what “color” each of them are, and as all judges have all commented differently to what color they probably genetically are and also what they would breed them with after viewing pedigrees, I’m even more confused.

Can REW cover over absolutely every color? Are there some color varieties that REW cancels out? If a rabbit is a visual REW, does that change the colors it can pass on? How does REW affect dilutes and brokens?

Thank you all in advance.

REW cannot carry anything in the c locus - 'C', 'c(chd)', and c(chl)' - because it is completely recessive. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> REW does hide every other locus (A,B,D, and E), and as far as I know it really doesn't affect dilutes and brokens. Your REW could genetically be a chocolate, aabbC_ddE_, but having the REW, 'cc', masks all the other genes so it LOOKS like an REW.

It could even be a charlie and you still wouldn't see anything, but breed that bunny to a broken, Enen, and you will get a litter of brokens and charlies.

Yup, REW can genetically be ANYTHING

A BEW, a broken a opal, a tort, etc... - every colour is hidden by REW

Genetically a REW = ?? ?? cc ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

Only by its parents and offspring colours can you fill in the question marks

REW is a whitewash, it covers EVERYTHING. Including BEW. What color are the parents? Since the doe is REW what color are her parents? Keep going back until you get colors and that may sort out some of the possibilities. Or, it may not tell you anything, depends on what's there. Otherwise, you may not know until you breed to other colors and see what shows up.

Update:

REW Doe : Dam is REW Sire is Sable Marten. Has sable marten, blue otter, chocolate, Siamese sable, broken black otter in far background.

She produced REW and broken sable marten when bred to broken Siamese sable. And when bred to broken black she produced sable marten, broken blue otter, blue otter. So is she most likely a tan pattern? That’s what we are leaning towards.

Rew Buck: Dam is Rew and Sire is sable. Has Rew, sable, black, black otter, broken chocolate and smoke pearl marten in far background. He has sire two litters as well, with self black does, and chocolate otter, black otter, and self black was the result. Do I assume he is tan pattern as well?

Back