Help :( Does aborting and dying.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewarner1827

Reaction score
I lost two pregnant does yesterday. The first one aborted her litter two days prior. I have been breeding rabbits for years and that has only happened to me once before. She stopped eating which is sometimes normal after they have a litter but this was different. By morning yesterday i knew something was terribly wrong. She hadnt moved, she still hadnt eaten, she stopped drinking, and looked terrible. I called my vet who was on an emergency call but said she would be right over when she could. In the meantime i gave her some fluids and brought her to a warmer, quiet area. I went to check on the rest of the rabbits where i discovered a second doe (her sister from the same litter) aborting her litter! What the heck is going on here! I ran around checking all the other rabbits who were all fine. By the time i made it back to the first rabbit she was had passed and ten minutes later the second rabbit passed. Im at a loss for what happened. Ive never had anything like this happen. Does anyone have any ideas?

Ugh Where would they get mold toxins from i wash water bottles and feed dishes every day :(
Also these rabbits were 8 months old it would have their first litter

If mould toxins are the problem, they would most likely be in the feed. What do you feed them? If it is toxins, other rabbits may also be affected.

Since the does were sisters having their first litters, it is also possible that they had some kind of flaw in their reproductive organs that caused them to abort. Perhaps your vet can offer some insights, if she is rabbit-savvy.

Sorry your introduction to RabbitTalk is on such a sad occasion. But I'd like to say :hi: all the same.

I have dumped the rest of the feed just in case but all the other rabbits seem fine as of today. I was thinking it could be something genetic but at the same time on the same day? Crazy. Hopefully this never happens again. Thanks you for the welcome and your help.

I don't think the timing was likely just a freak coincidence. Chances are you bred the two sister first-timers at the same time (more or less) and they aborted at the same point in their pregnancies. Whatever the flaw was, it would seem it was fatal. Just my best guess . . . and it is just a guess.

Did you breed these rabbits yourself? Or were they purchases from someone else? It might be worth a look at the doe's parentage if you want to probe further.

I purchased them at 6 weeks .I have a few nice bucks i bred myself and wanted to use so I wanted some new does that werent related to anyone.

Since you do not have details of their parentage or related rabbits to compare them to, you will likely never know for sure why it happened. Don't torture yourself -- just chalk it up to "one of those things." We can't always get answers.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for your loss, though.

Has anything similar happened to any other does in your herd? Since they were litter mates, it is quite possible it's something specific to those two does and not something herd wide? Were they bred to the same buck? Where they being fed something different separate from the rest of the herd? A vitamin deficiency of some sort?

There's all sorts of medical data on rabbits since they've been used for medical testing for so long. Here's a paper which links a vitamin deficiency to similar problems: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2921211 It may not be the actual answer, but may head you off in a useful direction. Perhaps those two does had a higher requirement for certain vitamins and the stress of birth was too much?

I lost two pregnant does yesterday. The first one aborted her litter two days prior. I have been breeding rabbits for years and that has only happened to me once before. She stopped eating which is sometimes normal after they have a litter but this was different. By morning yesterday i knew something was terribly wrong. She hadnt moved, she still hadnt eaten, she stopped drinking, and looked terrible. I called my vet who was on an emergency call but said she would be right over when she could. In the meantime i gave her some fluids and brought her to a warmer, quiet area. I went to check on the rest of the rabbits where i discovered a second doe (her sister from the same litter) aborting her litter! What the heck is going on here! I ran around checking all the other rabbits who were all fine. By the time i made it back to the first rabbit she was had passed and ten minutes later the second rabbit passed. Im at a loss for what happened. Ive never had anything like this happen. Does anyone have any ideas?
If it was the only related pair it could have been genetic, was this their first litter? I also had a hybrid rabbit who's bladder prolapsed on her 3rd litter coming, it was awful because she had to be put down :( If it went that fast, it could have been from something in the area they were in if it was too close as well, but my first guess is possible genetic issues?

Latest posts

Back