Help coloring future kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hiphopontheclock

Reaction score
So I'm new to breeding, but I have a pedigreed holland lop female and it's something I've been wanting to get into. So I bought a nice buck. I'm wondering what kinds of colors I would get from their cross and if any would be showable? Pics of pedigrees and rabbits included
Doe is black orange harlequin and buck is black tort

Attachments

• Snapchat-1017570081.jpg
    Snapchat-1017570081.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 8
Do you know if the doe had a tort or fawn parent? If so, she would have an 'e' hiding behind her 'ej' to make harlequins? I don't have the gene in my herd, so it's just book learning for me, but I'm pretty sure the 'ej' (also known as the 'Japanese' gene for some reason) is where the harli comes in. It's on the 'E' gene and is recessive to everything except the 'e' which - if you have two of them - makes torts and fawns. Fawns if the first color gene is an 'A' and torts if the first two color genes are 'aa'.

I'm guessing you'll get more harlies from that pair, although there's folks out there who know a whole lot more about the harli gene than me. Here's an interesting website which covers a whole pile of different rabbit color genes: http://yellowbrookrabbitry.com/complete-rabbit-colour-genetics-guide/ They also mention a lot of the less common 'defects' such as snowballing and those random white hairs. Although, not all defects are a defect, a lot of it depends on which breed of rabbit you're working with. The buns here, English angoras, don't have as many allowable (for show rabbits) colors as some breeds do.

Do you know if the doe had a tort or fawn parent? If so, she would have an 'e' hiding behind her 'ej' to make harlequins? I don't have the gene in my herd, so it's just book learning for me, but I'm pretty sure the 'ej' (also known as the 'Japanese' gene for some reason) is where the harli comes in. It's on the 'E' gene and is recessive to everything except the 'e' which - if you have two of them - makes torts and fawns. Fawns if the first color gene is an 'A' and torts if the first two color genes are 'aa'.

I'm guessing you'll get more harlies from that pair, although there's folks out there who know a whole lot more about the harli gene than me. Here's an interesting website which covers a whole pile of different rabbit color genes: http://yellowbrookrabbitry.com/complete-rabbit-colour-genetics-guide/ They also mention a lot of the less common 'defects' such as snowballing and those random white hairs. Although, not all defects are a defect, a lot of it depends on which breed of rabbit you're working with. The buns here, English angoras, don't have as many allowable (for show rabbits) colors as some breeds do.
Does pedigree is attached here, mom was harli and dad was magpie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-181211_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-181211_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
Back