Help! Best ways to cull 2-3 week old kits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 2-3 week old kits I'd probably use cervical dislocation. The "broomstick method" using a thin but sturdy wooden dowel or the edge of a heavy bowl in place of the broomstick.

Either that or I would build a C02 chamber.

Sorry you lost your litter.

For 2-3 week old kits I'd probably use cervical dislocation. The "broomstick method" using a thin but sturdy wooden dowel or the edge of a heavy bowl in place of the broomstick.

Either that or I would build a C02 chamber.

Sorry you lost your litter.
is co2 chambers really slow and painfull? Thats what I have heard

Not in my experience. They lose consciousness and then pass. You do have to be precise with the fill rates though.

C02 is the go-to method for frozen whole rabbit feeders for reptile and raw feeders.

Here is a recent study using C02 for meat rabbits if you are interested:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6563891/
Cervical dislocation is much cheaper and simpler of course.

Awe poor babies. I’ve got a 2 week old mini Rex baby born with paralyzed legs. I’ve been told to cull I just can’t do it. I sat there for an hour holding that baby trying to get it over with and I couldn’t. I’ll give the little guy a chance.

I've heard the same. Breaking the animal's neck (cervical dislocation) is harder on the one doing the culling, but easier on the critter. With a CO2 chamber (they say), it is the animal that suffers so that the human doesn't have to feel as uncomfortable.

I can't really give any advice. I've never had to put down a rabbit that wasn't at least six months old. We've just taken them into the back yard and my mom would shoot them with a gun, then I would go and bury them. I don't believe I've had a problem with a Kit yet, and if they die young (Like only a few weeks old and still tiny) I wrap them up in a paper towel(s) and place them in my field of long grass. The youngest I've had to bury was Gaston, who was killed by one of my cats when he was 6 weeks

Awe poor babies. I’ve got a 2 week old mini Rex baby born with paralyzed legs. I’ve been told to cull I just can’t do it. I sat there for an hour holding that baby trying to get it over with and I couldn’t. I’ll give the little guy a chance.
I have a paralyzed rabbit <3 let me know if you need help

I have a paralyzed rabbit <3 let me know if you need help
Yes I really do need help. I’m having a hard time figuring out the bathroom situation. I’m willing to keep him In my room as long as my parents allow it. My dad wants to keep him and name him scooter. But how do I keep him clean, and healthy and not stinky without having to do something every hour. Sometimes we’re gone all day and I won’t be able to tend to him but I don’t want him to sit in his own waste. Also whatever enclosure I keep him in has to look nice because my parents want everything clean. I’m going to build him some type of wheel chair and when he’s using it he can wear a diaper but I don’t want him always in a diaper. He’s still nursing so I have the next few weeks to do as much research as possible. Please give me any tips, it’d be really appreciated. He’s a tiny bit mighty little guy. 7D5E95B2-9F72-43A0-81EF-4979023B7C6F.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4491.MOV
    40.3 MB
as he gets older he will suffer sores. Honestly, I really struggle with this.
I struggle with why people can't euthanize animals for the ANIMALS sake. How will this benefit him long term? The younger they are, the easier they are to euthanize quickly.

as he gets older he will suffer sores. Honestly, I really struggle with this.
I struggle with why people can't euthanize animals for the ANIMALS sake. How will this benefit him long term? The younger they are, the easier they are to euthanize quickly.
For me or the other person

Yes I really do need help. I’m having a hard time figuring out the bathroom situation. I’m willing to keep him In my room as long as my parents allow it. My dad wants to keep him and name him scooter. But how do I keep him clean, and healthy and not stinky without having to do something every hour. Sometimes we’re gone all day and I won’t be able to tend to him but I don’t want him to sit in his own waste. Also whatever enclosure I keep him in has to look nice because my parents want everything clean. I’m going to build him some type of wheel chair and when he’s using it he can wear a diaper but I don’t want him always in a diaper. He’s still nursing so I have the next few weeks to do as much research as possible. Please give me any tips, it’d be really appreciated. He’s a tiny bit mighty little guy. View attachment 29816
get him off of wire. you can give him bath this website has great information Home

For me. Knowing when an animal suffer and being able to deal with it in a humane way is part of animal husbandry. No telling what the hips look like under the skin. Pinching nerves n such.
I can say this. I do not like dispatching animals, especially a pet. But I also know that I don't like animals to suffer.
As a rabbit meat farmer it's part of the job. And knowing that my family is getting a healthy quality product is important .
For a kit that small I would stretch it's neck

Back