HELP ASAP, Kit with liquid eye!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
So I was checking the Am Chin's kits and noticed one with white discharge. I pick it up to wipe it away and pure white eyeball oozes out! They aren't used to being handled, so I couldn't check it out too much, but there is no eye mass behind the eye lids.

What do I do? The kits are 2 weeks old yesterday, they are for meat. It didn't seem distressed, not infected[yet] and I'm sure the mom cut the eye with her nail. Should I try and clean the socket out, add Neosporin [with or without pain killer in it] and see what it does or cull it? It's fat and good looking, not sure if its active or not.

HELP ME!

ACK!!! No help here- isolate it and keep it warm until you get some responses!

Since the kit's for meat, I would try to clean up the eye as well as possible, and put some Neosporin with pain reliever on it a couple of times a day. I would carefully watch the kit. If it seems to be in pain after a few days, I would probably cull it. If it's otherwise acting like a normal, active baby bun, I'd just keep an eye on it for infection while it heals, discontinue the Neosporin after a week or two, and raise as normal.

Poor little bun. :( Nasty injury. But as long as it heals up without infection, it'll be fine. We had a meat kit who was blind in one eye from nestbox eye. It acted just like its littermates, though, and was just fine. This doesn't quite equate, but that treatment is probably what I would try.

Once it is cleaned and treated, you should be able to put it back in with its littermates. You don't want it to miss dinner. :) It'll like the companionship, too.

I just remembered I had a kitten with nasty "nestbox eye" and at first I thought the eye was gone also! Maybe it is still in there? Good luck!

It's quite possible the eye is still there, even though it seems to be gone. You can clean the eye gently with saline or with black or chamomile tea. Do not overdo the cleaning as you can inflame the eyelid tissues.

An antibiotic eye ointment is likely the best thing to use on it. I believe Terramycin is preferred for rabbits. I ordered some from eBay not too long ago, but have not had occasion to give it a good test yet. It was not very expensive, about $12 including shipping.

Terramycin is in Tractor Supply, have it for my Chickens.
Seeing as the area where the eye would be is flat and the discharge was clean white, makes me think the eye is gone. I'll check it in the AM and report back.

You may be right about it being gone... It's just that quite often one finds that the eye in still there, behind the white infection. Time will tell, but we wanted you to be aware of the possibility.

I'd be hesitant to use anything too strong on it. Remember.. MEAT KIT.. meds have withdrawal times. I"d keep it clean using a tea bag treatment and just watching it. Generally once you get rid of the gick it will heal up okay. As long as it is acting good I'd let it grow out. Once it started to fail then I'd cull, probably to dog food.

Had a cat get an eye ripped open when I was a kid. We kept it clean of puss .. did not medicate and she did just fine. She was blind on the one side and was one of our best hunters and momma cats.

Well, it is only 2 weeks, so there is time for "withdraw".<br /><br />__________ Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:07 pm __________<br /><br />Dumped out the nest, mom's been using it as a toilet. Reused the fur, it was clean, took out the end wall and the kits all ran out to explore. Mom was very freaked out and not happy about it, though she calmed down once I added a 3rd food bowl.
Kit is active and the eye socket has dried out, I'll have to go back out and try and moisten it to get the gunk off. I still don't think there's an eye, the area is almost sunken in.

USe a sterile saline solution to moisten. Many wild animals survive quite well with missing eyes, so as long as infection is kept out, kit will probably do fine. Heck,I have seen wild deer with 'amputated' legs-- something keeps them healthy!

Saw a twinkle when the kit was wobbling about, eye ~may~ still be in there. I left the eye area alone and let the kit clean it her/himself. I'm sure I would of made a mess of it, it's doing really well, most of the dry gunk is gone.
Mom is evil when she has kits, freaks and steps on them all the time. Hoping the gray/brown kit she had is a female so I can replace her if she is evil on her 2nd chance.

Oh my goodness! Hopefully it will be fine. Like others said, I have also seen animals with only one eye that where just fine. Didn't even act different from ones that had both eyes.

Well, seems the eye is still in there, not sure how well it will see out of it. Did not know until I read a few threads about the weird way rabbits excrete puss, that must of been what I was seeing.
As for the giant gray/brown kit, I believe it's a boy! Ugh. It's big enough to sex now and I'm seeing boy parts, sad.

Latest posts

Back