Hello!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the bunny world. I've only ever had one or two as pets since I was a little girl. I'm now planning on starting a breeding business for meat, pets, and eventually wool. I'd love any helpful tips anyone can give. Here is a picture of my sibling group (2 browns are bucks, 1 white is a buck, 1 white is a doe she has since been put in a new home after this picture was taken) and my buck I rescued.

Attachments

• 20211110_194404.jpg
    20211110_194404.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211110_194416.jpg
    20211110_194416.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi! I'm new to the bunny world. I've only ever had one or two as pets since I was a little girl. I'm now planning on starting a breeding business for meat, pets, and eventually wool. I'd love any helpful tips anyone can give. Here is a picture of my sibling group (2 browns are bucks, 1 white is a buck, 1 white is a doe she has since been put in a new home after this picture was taken) and my buck I rescued.
When you are deciding on breeds, I suggest making a short list of what you are interested in but then seeing what is available to you locally - locally meaning however far you are willing to drive - before deciding. Transport can get expensive. Also, when you are reading info and tips, remember everyone has a perspective. Their opinions may be based on their own personal objectives and not everyone is as self aware about those things as one would hope.

When you are deciding on breeds, I suggest making a short list of what you are interested in but then seeing what is available to you locally - locally meaning however far you are willing to drive - before deciding. Transport can get expensive. Also, when you are reading info and tips, remember everyone has a perspective. Their opinions may be based on their own personal objectives and not everyone is as self aware about those things as one would hope.
I already have a hodge podge of breeds. The sibling group are New Zealand/Flemish Giants. The rescue I was told is the same but they weren't 100% sure. Then I picked up a 3/4 silver fox with new Zealand buck and 2 Lionhead New Zealand does over the weekend. I'm a sucker for cute just as much as I'm in it for the meat 🤣

Same here! It's hard to pass up cute, and so we did a variety of breeds our first year. Many people enjoy having several dedicated breeding pairs, but we found it was more management than we wanted, so settled on just Rex (after trying and failing to make half then later 1/4 Flemish crosses work).

Rex can compete with, but not necessarily beat high quality NZW in meat production. Silver fox is a great breed too, and something we considered settling on.

We went with Rex more for the color varieties and velvet thick/soft fur.

We live in the city, though, so there's a decent pet market here. Rex is hands down the most lucrative pet/meat rabbit for our area.

Same here! It's hard to pass up cute, and so we did a variety of breeds our first year. Many people enjoy having several dedicated breeding pairs, but we found it was more management than we wanted, so settled on just Rex (after trying and failing to make half then later 1/4 Flemish crosses work).

Rex can compete with, but not necessarily beat high quality NZW in meat production. Silver fox is a great breed too, and something we considered settling on.

We went with Rex more for the color varieties and velvet thick/soft fur.

We live in the city, though, so there's a decent pet market here. Rex is hands down the most lucrative pet/meat rabbit for our area.
I'm sure I'll have to end up deciding on a breed too because I'll want to have all the bunnies if not.

Our newest additions. My kiddos named them...Jackie Chan (silver fox), Simba and Fuzz Butt.

Attachments

• 20211219_191203.jpg
    20211219_191203.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211219_191745.jpg
    20211219_191745.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
Aloha Hobby Homesteader!

Bunnies are great, we're hoping for a lot more of them this year.

JMHO, if you have kiddos naming bunnies, maybe having a separate line of 'meat' buns verses pet/wool buns may be a good idea? Dunno as if the kiddos would appreciate Jackie Chan over for dinner? We have wool bunnies (English angora) and we occasionally eat them, although it's usually the spare bucks that never got named. Folks like the young bunnies and don't really seem to want adult stock so once they get over six months old they generally are either kept here or show up for dinner.

Bunnies can be pretty profitable, but we are selling yarn as well as bunnies. The stock here is also hard to find in this area and pedigreed, so we have had the market cornered for the past decade or so. More folks are now breeding them, though, which is a good thing IMHO since I need to get the genetic base opened up a little and I'd much rather get local stock than shipping them in from the mainland now that there's that disease over there.

Oh, that would be a bit of advice I'd have for a new bunny breeder. Be aware of bio-security. Quarantine all new incoming stock and don't allow visiting bunnies onto the property. We had syphilis in the herd several years ago when we allowed an orphan baby bunny to be fostered with a nursing doe we had at the time. It took a LOT of shots of penicillin to fix it, at least it was fixable but it's easier to not even go there.

Aloha Hobby Homesteader!

Bunnies are great, we're hoping for a lot more of them this year.

JMHO, if you have kiddos naming bunnies, maybe having a separate line of 'meat' buns verses pet/wool buns may be a good idea? Dunno as if the kiddos would appreciate Jackie Chan over for dinner? We have wool bunnies (English angora) and we occasionally eat them, although it's usually the spare bucks that never got named. Folks like the young bunnies and don't really seem to want adult stock so once they get over six months old they generally are either kept here or show up for dinner.

Bunnies can be pretty profitable, but we are selling yarn as well as bunnies. The stock here is also hard to find in this area and pedigreed, so we have had the market cornered for the past decade or so. More folks are now breeding them, though, which is a good thing IMHO since I need to get the genetic base opened up a little and I'd much rather get local stock than shipping them in from the mainland now that there's that disease over there.

Oh, that would be a bit of advice I'd have for a new bunny breeder. Be aware of bio-security. Quarantine all new incoming stock and don't allow visiting bunnies onto the property. We had syphilis in the herd several years ago when we allowed an orphan baby bunny to be fostered with a nursing doe we had at the time. It took a LOT of shots of penicillin to fix it, at least it was fixable but it's easier to not even go there.
Thanks for all the good tips and advice. What do you mean by biosecurity? Also what's a visiting bunny (wild or just one a friend may bring that won't be staying)?

We live on a working cattle farm so we eat the cows we raise. The kids knew when we brought rabbits in that they would eventually end up on their plates. They understand the circle of life and why animals have to give their lives for us. They start hunting (deer/turkey) when they are 4 or 5 to help provide for the family. It's just the way things are. As soon as they name them they also tell them to grow big and strong and provide babies so we have many bunnies to eat in the future. Just last summer the 6 of them (ages 2-12) butchered and processed 5 roosters and ate them. We grow them a little differently around here. 😊

Do you spin your wool yourself? I'm still just into meat rabbits and haven't started my angora research yet. So I'm still learning how that process will work.

Thanks again for your helpful response ❤

Biosecurity is awareness of various viruses and diseases which can be brought into your rabbitry. The mainland has that virus now, Hemmouragic - uh, I forget the name, but it's a bad one. We don't have wild rabbits on the island so I don't have to worry about them bringing in diseases. But we did foster that one baby bunny who's mom had died. I'd thought it had been eaten by the neighbor's dog but it had mysteriously died. Had I known that, I wouldn't have let the baby bunny near the herd, but I'd not been thinking of a poor little orphan bunny carrying diseases. We went for a full year with no babies born despite lots of matings because of syphilis. In the bunny world they call it 'vent disease'. Fortunately, penicillin can fix it and after giving every rabbit here (I think it was somewhere around 24 to 30 at the time) a shot of penicillin once a week for five weeks we started seeing baby bunnies again. The litter sizes were still small because of damage done by the disease but the offspring didn't have it and we're now back to normal again.

Since we have wool bunnies, so sometimes someone will bring a bunny over for shearing. That's now done (if we do it at all) in a separate area from the rest of the herd. Also, since they are wool bunnies, they become pets and folks don't want to really eat them. If there's one that comes back because the owner can't keep up with the coat or they move off island or something, then that bunny will go into quarantine for at least a month until it gets near the herd. They're also inspected for any ill health, parasites, etc.

I had "seven rooster soup" a year or two ago when too many of the chicks started crowing. A lot of it got frozen but something had to be done with all those roosters. Someone here in town asked me if roosters tasted like chicken when I mentioned the soup to them. :unsure: I wasn't quite sure what to tell them, that level of ignorance is appalling.

Some of the angora fiber is spun by me, but that's usually the yarn I keep for myself. The yarn that gets sold is spun up by these lovely people in Pennsylvania, Gurdy Run Woolen Mill. They mix the fluff I send them with fine Merino and silk and spin it up and send it back on cones. Then I run it through the skeiner here and put labels on it and sell it at the shop. I need to scalp all the tortoiseshell bunnies, I'm out of the 'Beach Bunny' color of Hula Bunny yarn. The yarn doesn't have any dye, just the color of the bunny makes the color of the yarn so there's 'Moonlit Dance' from the blacks and blues which is a silvery gray yarn. 'Beach Bunny' is a light warm tawny tan color and 'Coconut Dream' is a creamy white color. I've got a fawn doe who is probably going to meet up with either the fawn or tort buck to get more blondes around here since I try to keep a color balance in the herd to match yarn sales.

This is the yarn page on the bunnies website: available english angora bunnies although I'm gonna redo it pretty soon since it needs some updating now that I can code a bit better.

To make money with rabbits, having access to sell products at retail rates is really helpful. A lot of the yarn gets sold to tourists.

We also have a pedigreed breed (English angora) that nobody else had on the island so selling babies has been really profitable, too. There's beginning to be some other folks breeding them now, I'm hoping they will succeed so the genetic pool will get a little wider. Around here, the restaurants would want to buy rabbits, but I've not gone into finding out the details about that yet and pretty much have my hands full with the fuzzy bunnies. Folks keep bunnies for a whole lot of different reasons.

having raised and rescued bunnies for years...I STRONGLY recommend you DO NOT sell wooled animals as pets. The sheer amount of neglect they suffer is not worth it. Wooled animals are so easily neglected. Stick with short coated rabbits for pet rabbits please. :) Good luck with the rabbit raising. :)

having raised and rescued bunnies for years...I STRONGLY recommend you DO NOT sell wooled animals as pets. The sheer amount of neglect they suffer is not worth it. Wooled animals are so easily neglected. Stick with short coated rabbits for pet rabbits please. :) Good luck with the rabbit raising. :)
Yeah, I'll be keeping my angoras all to myself and only selling the fiber.

Yup, what Lady'sOwn said! Fuzzy bunnies with folks who spin yarn generally get their coats taken care of. I've had several go to pet homes who swore they were gonna take care of the bunny and then later found out they'd given away or sold the bunny on to someone else. Without mentioning it to me, I'd have taken the bunny back and told them that when they bought it. Now, I ask them if they're gonna make yarn with the bunny fluff before selling them a bunny.

It's also on the bunny's webpage that they don't make a decent pet bunny due to the amount of work to keep the coat in order. Bunnies also don't get sold for about three weeks before Easter. They can have the bunny the day after Easter, you'd be amazed how many folks decide they don't want a bunny if they can't get it before Easter, though. I just cringe at the thought of a basket of sugar and a young bunny handed to toddler or young kid.

Back