Hello from Scotland!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophonax

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I started raising New Zealand's and Californians about 6 months ago for meat. I recently got a couple of Rex bucks and I'm absolutely in love with them. So now I'm looking to breed the rex fur into my meat rabbits so I not only have home raised meat, I'll also be able to use that plush coat. I'm very much of the philosophy that I want to use every part of the animals I raise, so I can't wait to see what I end up with in the nest box over the next little while ;)

Are there special Scottish recipes which feature rabbit?

The rex fur is lovely, what will you make with the extra plush pelts?

Some folks also breed in some angora in order to get a denser coat. It's a double recessive to get the long 'wool' of an angora so for a first gen cross, you won't have to worry about long haired rabbits. A second generation cross between two angora crosses can come up with the long wool, but that's a disaster since it's an incomplete coat structure and does nothing but mat up into a huge mess. But, if you use a non-angora buck each time, that will mean no long wool messy buns. AFAIK, you can keep up the rex crossings and hybrid rex crossings without issues of hard to manage coats.

I've been looking for some rex stock to have a line of 'pet' bunnies for folks looking for a pet bunny since I don't want to sell an angora as a pet, but so far I've not found any here in the islands.

Are there special Scottish recipes which feature rabbit?

The rex fur is lovely, what will you make with the extra plush pelts?
Unfortunately, not on the recipe front it's mostly stews or we steal from the French :) Rabbit with creamy mustard sauce is just out of this world! I've not decided what to do with those extra plush pelts yet, only that I will not be wasting them. I'm thinking moccasins, mittens, and fur lining for things come winter time.

That's interesting to know about the angoras, I had an angora rabbit as a child and the mats were a nightmare. It's good to know I can mix it in without ill effect as long as I'm careful to not breed two angora crosses together. I'm still learning about all of the different rabbit colours, coat types, and genetics so I'm really excited to see what I get in the nest box in a month. I bred my Californian Doe to my 6 month old, self black buck, so since I don't really have any genetic history for either of them, it really will be a surprise.

I'll have to check that recipe out. :) Doing up some buns this week. Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your rex. :)
It's wonderful, you absolutely won't regret it. It's a french recipe, the only thing about it is that it's so dense you'll struggle to eat it all :D

Hmm, if I remember correctly, the Rex coat is also a double recessive to get it to show up. I don't track the Rex genes much, though, since the only buns here are the English angora. Being on a relatively small island sorta in the middle of nowhere makes it difficult to find purebred rabbits. Is it easy to find more breed stock in your area?

Back