Hello from Saskatchewan

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekidd747

Reaction score
I've had a rabbit for most of my life.

The last one here was my daughters and shes now at college. My mom showed up with a chinchilla to add to my 8 year old bucks cage.

And sure enough 30 days later and i have 6 more rabbits.

Started reading to predict the colors and wow was I in for a surprise.

I've learned that the chinchilla is the more dominant form of albinoism. My buck is a solid and black, and I believe a self.
She is an agouti chinchilla.

So I was a little surprised to see 4 solid black kits, and 2 what I think are going to be REW's. My daughter had brought the buck in from my moms farm, so i asked my mom if by chance one of his parents were albino and she sent a picture, his mom was REW and his dad was brown. So I believe that means his mom was really black because he would of got a brown from his dad.
Because two of the kit's are REW wont know for sure until there eyes open in a few days. ( still hoping for himalayan). So if they are REW that also I believe means my chinchilla also had an albino parent. And because none of the kits are agouti so far, that also means she was likely only a single Aa.
So this is what I think I've pieced together from all the info here:
Buck aa Bb Cc
Doe Aa ?? cchndc

There is a good chance that I may also have a self chin in the four black kits.

It was a long week waiting to get approved so i spent it reading

Just a side note that the term is just REW and not Albino. Albinoism is rare, and REW is pretty common

Well that is absolutely not what Ive read. I read REW and albinism are one in the same, and they are popular because they have been used to bring out the less dominate features like chinchilla and himalayan, without needing two of them.

I'm still confused how somethings like American Chinchilla are described as a breed when they are just a color and fur trait. So are " breed" standards just that, color and fur traits of the standard and not a true breed of rabbit?

Just a side note that the term is just REW and not Albino. Albinoism is rare, and REW is pretty common
REW is functionally the same as albino; both terms refer to a genetic condition that impairs an individual's production of melanin, which is a group of pigments that give hair, fur, feathers, and eyes their color. The most commonly used defintion of albinism is one blocking expression of all pigment in hair and eyes.

The REW moniker (aka Red-eyed White or Ruby-eyed White) applies to the varieties of rabbits as described in the ARBA Standard of Perfection (SOP); in some breeds that variety is referred to only as "White" (eg. Satins) rather than REW, usually when the breed does not also recognize BEW (Blue-eyed White).

I've learned that the chinchilla is the more dominant form of albinoism.
If you use the definition of albinism as blocking all pigment, chinchilla does not qualify; however I suppose that chinchilla could be called a form of albinism in that it blocks expression of one form of melanin.

The allele for chinchilla <cchd> is on the same gene series (C series) as the allele for REW/albino <c>. All the alleles in the C series except full-color <C> progressively reduce the amount of pigment expressed in the animal's fur and eyes.

Chinchilla is the most dominant of these suppressive alleles and block most or all production of pheomelanin (the form of melanin that produces yellow pigment responsible for tan, orange and red tones in the rabbit's fur), but allow expression of eumelanin (which produces black, chocolate and sepia tones).

As @ladysown pointed out, the variety "chinchilla" can come in black, its dilute blue, chocolate, and its dilute lilac.

I'm still confused how somethings like American Chinchilla are described as a breed when they are just a color and fur trait. So are " breed" standards just that, color and fur traits of the standard and not a true breed of rabbit?
The various Chinchilla breeds are definitely distinct breeds, each having their own SOP regarding size, body type, fur type, etc. They just happen to be breeds only recognized in a single variety (black chinchilla), and named after that distinctive feature they happen to share. Otherwise they are quite different from each other:

The Standard Chinchilla has a compact body type with rollback fur and weighs between 5-7.5 pounds. Body type accounts for 30 points out of 100, while 35 points are allotted to color. 15 of those points are for surface color, with the other points for undercolor and ring color/definition.

The American Chinchilla has a commercial body type with rollback fur and weighs between 9-12 pounds. Body type accounts for 45 points out of 100, while 25 points are allotted to color; 12 of those points are for surface color, with the other points for undercolor and ring color/definition.

The Giant Chinchilla has a mandolin body type with flyback fur and weighs 12-16 pounds. Body type accounts for a whopping 60 points out of 100; only 15 points out of 100 are allotted to color. 7 of those points are for surface color, with the other points for undercolor and ring color.

Last edited:
So my kits are now 12 days old and I definitely have four blacks and two REW. Still waiting to see if there is any eye difference to see if one of the blacks is a self chin. Dad has some silvering but I think he got it once he was older

dad, mom, dads parents, and the kits

Attachments

• rabbit1.png
    rabbit1.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • rabbit2.png
    rabbit2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • rabbit3.png
    rabbit3.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • rabbit 4.png