Hello from Nova Scotia Canada

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello i am new to the forum and have a plan to start raising rabbits again, for meat, after many many years. There aren't a lot of heritage breeds available here so i may purchase some Champaigne D'Argent from Ontario in the spring. At the moment someone has American Chinchilla about 4 hours away, but i'm not sure for how long. i'm not ready yet. There are New Zealands always to be had.

Firstly i have to build housing. i am hoping to build a couple of strings of rabbit cages that are protected from the elements on a top level and chicken housing underneath for the winter months. The chickens will process the droppings/hay/wasted food etc. i will build near my gardens. i am not initially looking to make an income. i have a really large family. i would like gentle rabbits that are hardy and have a good meat to bone ratio, growing in a reasonable timeframe. I also would like to harvest pelts periodically.

I have already been reading some posts and am so grateful for the knowledge and experience that is on this board.

Welcome! Nova Scotia is such a lovely place. I would love to live there!

Our American chinchillas are gentle, docile, hardy, and we have been very happy with them. We started with Rex and Chinchillas this spring, and found the Rex didn’t suit our system, so now we just have chinchillas. They are a wonderful breed. We wanted to try Champaigne D'Argent but did not know of any breeders close by at the time we purchased our stock.

Like you, we have benefited a lot from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Rabbittalk is awesome. There are a lot of ways of doing things and many ways to raise rabbits, and people here are very experienced and welcoming.

Hello and welcome! Definitely better to be prepared. Lots of wonderful folks on the forum sharing knowledge. I hope you find what you’re looking for when you’re ready. Hopefully closer than 4 hours away!
Thank so much for the warm welcome Unfortunately in Nova Scotia we often have to drive hours for things. Certainly not like Yukon or Alaska though. I have ed already been learning from pots
Welcome! Nova Scotia is such a lovely place. I would love to live there!

Our American chinchillas are gentle, docile, hardy, and we have been very happy with them. We started with Rex and Chinchillas this spring, and found the Rex didn’t suit our system, so now we just have chinchillas. They are a wonderful breed. We wanted to try Champaigne D'Argent but did not know of any breeders close by at the time we purchased our stock.

Like you, we have benefited a lot from the knowledgeable folks on this forum. Rabbittalk is awesome. There are a lot of ways of doing things and many ways to raise rabbits, and people here are very experienced and welcoming.
oh this is absolutely wonderful to hear. If they still have when I’m ready I will start with these. There are Rex around. Can I ask what about them didn’t work for you?

Rex did not work because we let out rabbits out to graze and Rex dig and escape more. Our chinchilla doe never escaped and only dug once before each litter. The Rex both buck and doe would dig little holes in our yard a lot. If there was a gap in a fence, the Rex would work at it until they got out. Our chinchilla didn’t seem to do that at all. It must be something about the temperament of the two breeds. Our Chinchillas are a lot more docile and calm.

Thank so much for the warm welcome Unfortunately in Nova Scotia we often have to drive hours for things. Certainly not like Yukon or Alaska though. I have ed already been learning from pots

oh this is absolutely wonderful to hear. If they still have when I’m ready I will start with these. There are Rex around. Can I ask what about them didn’t work for you?

Rex did not work because we let out rabbits out to graze and Rex dig and escape more. Our chinchilla doe never escaped and only dug once before each litter. The Rex both buck and doe would dig little holes in our yard a lot. If there was a gap in a fence, the Rex would work at it until they got out. Our chinchilla didn’t seem to do that at all. It must be something about the temperament of the two breeds. Our Chinchillas are a lot more docile and calm.
Thank you this is really good information as I am hoping to grow out the kits on pasture in the months when there is pasture.

I have already been reading some posts and am so grateful for the knowledge and experience that is on this board.
It sounds like you already have a good plan. And it's good that you decided to join. This site also has lots of knowledgeable members willing to help you with your questions.

Welcome and keep us updated, will you?

Thank you so much for the welcome absolutely I’ll keep up to date. I’m hoping to pick up the cage wire this week to get going but it’s cold and we’ve had a dump of snow.

Thank you this. Big big help

That's interesting - we always called our Rex "Houdinis." The two other Rex breeders up here say that they've found the same thing. I've always wondered if it was the just the Rex in this area - apparently not. :)

We keep our Satins in tractors during the summer and all the digging they ever do is to make a hole in the dirt to cool off in when it's warm.

Rex do seem to be incredibly curious, capable, and ready-to-learn. I have several that would make very entertaining (and possibly destructive if not managed) house rabbits. I have even thought several would do great learning rabbit agility if I had someone wanting to do that. 😃

Welcome! It is a great community with awesome information. Greetings from Southern Colorado, USA.

We raise American Chinchillas and NZs. They are the two most docile breeds I have encountered. My Chins are a bit more chilled than the NZs.

I love the pelts I get from the Chinchillas as well. So gorgeous. The meat to bone ratio is great, and grow outs are good, especially with the steel gene. For some reason, the kits born with one copy of the steel gene grow larger than sibling without.

Definately go with American Chinchillas if you can. Standard Chinchillas are much smaller, Giant Chinchilla are not recommended for good meat to bone ratio.

Go with the American Chinchilla for size, meat to bone ratio, fur, and temperment.

I travelled 3.5 hours one way for my trio. The breeder lied, saying they were silver foxes, but once I saw them, fell in love. I am not disappointed. It was worth it, every boring mile of it. I am hoping to make it to an ARBA show an hour away this summer. I want buy show stock this year.

I am IN LOVE with the American Chinchilla so my opinion is very bias towards them.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Back