Hello from Council, Idaho!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, welcome. Yes people here know their rabbits and I'm amazed at how cool people are. I started in April this year but it sure feels longer than that now. Can't wait til spring to have another litter. My buck and doe make me laugh everyday. Nothing cuter than seeing a happy bunny doing binkys through the yard. People can't believe they don't run off when I turn them out but they bond with you and seem to enjoy me being around. Have fun with your new hobby, it's great!
Hi, and thank you for the welcome! I started last summer and wish I had considered rabbits more seriously a long time ago! I love them! Do you raise your rabbits in a colony? I ask because you mentioned bunnies in the yard. I'm fascinated by all the different approaches to raising these sweet critters and would love to hear what others are doing. Thanks again for the welcome!

Hello Buknee!!

It's great to meet someone from my part of the world! I'm breeding for meat. I was actually hoping to find someone close to me with Cremes to bring into my rabbitry. I am considering crosses for genetic diversity but also want to keep purebred lines. I've been reading a lot about the benefits of crossing lines and ran into information about a terminal cross in breeding. I've got a lot to learn, but am up for the challenge. I just need to find some really great books and research articles! After reading a number of comments here, I'd love to bring in a Purebred Rex breeding pair, too. Are you my go-to for both Cremes and Rexes?!! I've got purebred papered NZ does and a purebred papered NZ buck if you are ever interested in a purebred NZ.

I hear you about the daily therapy. I love my rabbits and find myself drawn to the barn even when they don't need me! They are beautiful, fun, and sweet.
There are quite a few rabbit breeders around here. Yes, I think I can get you lined up with both Cremes and Rex.

Katelynn, my DinL, currently has a litter of purebred Cremes. She might be interested in trading for a pedigreed NZ doe. Hers are pedigreed, but....she can't find the paperwork of one after their move. I think she is talking about selling her breeding pair too. I will ask her if you are interested. What color are your NZs?

I have a litter of purebred Rex that are 5 weeks old. They are partial pedigreed and their offspring can be full pedigree. I still have 2 available, but have to confirm sexes later this week. There are a few of us in my area with purebred Rex. I can hook you up with others so you can start with a purebred trio. Just let me know.
If interested, you can see pictures of my babies at this link.
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/my-first-purebred-litter.35762/My DinL also has a litter of Rex due next week. However, her buck is brother to my doe. Some people don't like breeding related buns, but they would only be cousins.

I am experimenting with crosses at the moment. I have a NZ/Chin doe that I crossed with my purebred Rex. She is only 7 pounds 4 ounces, but produces really nice growing kits. I am keeping one (maybe 2) of the kits to breed to my new Rex buck.

I also have a purebred Flemish doe that I am breeding to my young purebred Satin. Well, if he can do the job. Petra is over 17 pounds and Roman is only 7. LOL It should be an interesting mix.

I love to see what the different combos produce.

I am sure that others in this group can give you some excellent ideas for books. I have a lot of trial and error experience since that is how I learn best.

FB: Bella Rose Rabbitry

Howdy! Enjoy the forum! I wish I had found this place back when I started with rabbits. Always glad to see others finding it and making use of this resource.

Howdy! Enjoy the forum! I wish I had found this place back when I started with rabbits. Always glad to see others finding it and making use of this resource.
I do feel very fortunate to have found this group so early in my rabbit world. I am really enjoying the forum and have met so many great people!

There are quite a few rabbit breeders around here. Yes, I think I can get you lined up with both Cremes and Rex.

Katelynn, my DinL, currently has a litter of purebred Cremes. She might be interested in trading for a pedigreed NZ doe. Hers are pedigreed, but....she can't find the paperwork of one after their move. I think she is talking about selling her breeding pair too. I will ask her if you are interested. What color are your NZs?

I have a litter of purebred Rex that are 5 weeks old. They are partial pedigreed and their offspring can be full pedigree. I still have 2 available, but have to confirm sexes later this week. There are a few of us in my area with purebred Rex. I can hook you up with others so you can start with a purebred trio. Just let me know.
If interested, you can see pictures of my babies at this link.
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/my-first-purebred-litter.35762/My DinL also has a litter of Rex due next week. However, her buck is brother to my doe. Some people don't like breeding related buns, but they would only be cousins.

I am experimenting with crosses at the moment. I have a NZ/Chin doe that I crossed with my purebred Rex. She is only 7 pounds 4 ounces, but produces really nice growing kits. I am keeping one (maybe 2) of the kits to breed to my new Rex buck.

I also have a purebred Flemish doe that I am breeding to my young purebred Satin. Well, if he can do the job. Petra is over 17 pounds and Roman is only 7. LOL It should be an interesting mix.

I love to see what the different combos produce.

I am sure that others in this group can give you some excellent ideas for books. I have a lot of trial and error experience since that is how I learn best.

FB: Bella Rose Rabbitry
Thank you so much!!

I think I'll be ready this spring for a Creme breeding trio and Rex breeding trio.

My NZ rabbits are purebred with papers. My Silver Fox is purebred without papers. I've found one resource to register and obtain a pedigree. I didn't sign up and pay to join because I was not concerned with the registration of my offspring. How do you go about providing pedigrees? I found a pedigree form that I can fill out myself, but I imagine that's not considered official when it comes time to trade some of my NZ purebreds if anyone is interested in some of my rabbits.

I just looked at your link! Wow! What beautiful rabbits! I'd love a breeding trio from your purebred Rex's!
My NZ's are White, Black, Broken Black, Red, Light Broken, and Gold Tipped Steel.

Last edited:
Thank you so much!!

I think I'll be ready this spring for a Creme breeding trio and Rex breeding trio.

My NZ rabbits are purebred with papers. My Silver Fox is purebred without papers. I've found one resource to register and obtain a pedigree. I didn't sign up and pay to join because I was not concerned with the registration of my offspring. How do you go about providing pedigrees? I found a pedigree form that I can fill out myself, but I imagine that's not considered official when it comes time to trade some of my NZ purebreds if anyone is interested in some of my rabbits.

I just looked at your link! Wow! What beautiful rabbits! I'd love a breeding trio from your purebred Rex's!
My NZ's are White, Black, Broken Black, Red, Light Broken, and Gold Tipped Steel.

Rabbit pedigrees are different from those in the dog-world (that I believe you are familiar with?). They are really only worth as much as the breeder’s integrity. Anyone can fill out a pedigree for their stock if they have the information for four+ generations. Anyone can falsify rabbit pedigrees as well. Really, it’s important to get your rabbits from a breeder you can evaluate at least a little so you can decide if integrity is there to be trusted. A good animal is a good animal, and if they have a pedigree that can be handy. It depends on your goals.

If you start out with unpedigreed rabbits, you can start keeping track of breedings and work down four generations to then have fully-pedigreed stock.

Registering a rabbit is usually only done when a rabbit is going to be granded at shows, as far as I know. Perhaps someone with show knowledge can pipe in on registering. I think you also have to have certain info on the pedigrees in order for a particular rabbit to be granded?

Rabbit pedigrees are different from those in the dog-world (that I believe you are familiar with?). They are really only worth as much as the breeder’s integrity. Anyone can fill out a pedigree for their stock if they have the information for four+ generations. Anyone can falsify rabbit pedigrees as well. Really, it’s important to get your rabbits from a breeder you can evaluate at least a little so you can decide if integrity is there to be trusted. A good animal is a good animal, and if they have a pedigree that can be handy. It depends on your goals.

If you start out with unpedigreed rabbits, you can start keeping track of breedings and work down four generations to then have fully-pedigreed stock.

Registering a rabbit is usually only done when a rabbit is going to be granded at shows, as far as I know. Perhaps someone with show knowledge can pipe in on registering. I think you also have to have certain info on the pedigrees in order for a particular rabbit to be granded?
Thank you for your very helpful input!

The dog world pedigree for my breed can go back to the very early 1900's and is held in a database that is managed with the utmost caution to insure that records are not falsified and can be verified by the American Kennel Association, the organization that is a pure breed dog registry. One can choose to register a dog or litter and I've done that with all of my dogs. That being said, I imagine some creative minds can manage to falsify records and one ultimately has to appreciate that. I agree that trust is the only standard of measure in the rabbit world, given what you've said. I trust the individual from whom I got my New Zealand's and feel confident in any pedigree paperwork generated by me in my rabbitry as a result. My primary motive for raising rabbits isn't for show or to sell, but for meat for my personal use. There might be a time when someone will want to trade with me or purchase from me and I want to be sure that I'm providing honest and accurate lineage information.

Okay, now I have to ask... how do you know that I'm familiar with the dog world? I'm smiling here!

Thank you so much!!

Thank you. My doe came from Muddy Farms. She used to live in Orofino. Hershey is a wonderful doe and mama. Patterson, my buck, came from Potlatch. I love him too!

I just started using Global Pedigree. It is $20 per year or $125 lifetime. It is really user friendly. I like using it because I don't have to rewrite everything when selling several from a litter. They offer a 30 day free trial, no CC needed.

I will be breeding my pair again February 8. So there should be some available when you are ready. My DinL should have another litter by then as well so we can put together a nice trio. I am also considering buying another pair.

Katelynn would consider selling her creme pair.

Thank you for your very helpful input!

The dog world pedigree for my breed can go back to the very early 1900's and is held in a database that is managed with the utmost caution to insure that records are not falsified and can be verified by the American Kennel Association, the organization that is a pure breed dog registry. One can choose to register a dog or litter and I've done that with all of my dogs. That being said, I imagine some creative minds can manage to falsify records and one ultimately has to appreciate that. I agree that trust is the only standard of measure in the rabbit world, given what you've said. I trust the individual from whom I got my New Zealand's and feel confident in any pedigree paperwork generated by me in my rabbitry as a result. My primary motive for raising rabbits isn't for show or to sell, but for meat for my personal use. There might be a time when someone will want to trade with me or purchase from me and I want to be sure that I'm providing honest and accurate lineage information.

Okay, now I have to ask... how do you know that I'm familiar with the dog world? I'm smiling here!

I am a Golden Retriever fan, so I recognized your name, location, and abbreviation in your RT username. 😉

Thank you. My doe came from Muddy Farms. She used to live in Orofino. Hershey is a wonderful doe and mama. Patterson, my buck, came from Potlatch. I love him too!

I just started using Global Pedigree. It is $20 per year or $125 lifetime. It is really user friendly. I like using it because I don't have to rewrite everything when selling several from a litter. They offer a 30 day free trial, no CC needed.

I will be breeding my pair again February 8. So there should be some available when you are ready. My DinL should have another litter by then as well so we can put together a nice trio. I am also considering buying another pair.

Katelynn would consider selling her creme pair.
I would be interested in getting Katelynn's creme pair. Where did Katelynn get her Cremes from? I'd love to see pictures!

I would be interested in getting Katelynn's creme pair. Where did Katelynn get her Cremes from? I'd love to see pictures!
I will connect you on FB messenger. She is off grid so won't respond immediately.

Latest posts

Back