Hello from Australia :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day! Happy springtime!

I guess you're not in the part of Australia which is anti-rabbit?

What kind of rabbits do you have?

One of our nicest bucks was named 'Sydney' although he wasn't from there.

I am very much in the part of Australia, that is anti rabbit. But i am not :) They are NZ x Rex. Blue eyed. 7 weeks old. Ive made some mistakes already, and learning as i go.
First mistake: I cant see. Very bad eye sight. And cant remember which was the buck? And cant see the genitals, let alone what bits are there. So will let ma nature show me eventually.
Second: Put them in top story of 2 story cage, they couldn't use ramp to get down. So no access to water/food for 8 hours. They survived. I figure they only ate twice daily when on milk.
They are now in the temporary colony, and getting the most out of the colder sunnier days here. Before we hit scorchio! in a week or so.

G'day! Happy springtime!

I guess you're not in the part of Australia which is anti-rabbit?

What kind of rabbits do you have?

One of our nicest bucks was named 'Sydney' although he wasn't from there.
Australia is anti rabbit?

2021 see's Australia launch the next bigger, better, nastier cocci strain into the wild. Stronger, more resistant to vaccination for cocci. As the last GM pathogen wasn't successful enough.

Love Rex rabbits! And had I more space would def go for a couple NZ, they have a good shape. I went down the Rex fur route and as well as Standard Rex I’ve just got bought a plush lop buck and doe.

I am very much in the part of Australia, that is anti rabbit. But i am not :) They are NZ x Rex. Blue eyed. 7 weeks old. Ive made some mistakes already, and learning as i go.
First mistake: I cant see. Very bad eye sight. And cant remember which was the buck? And cant see the genitals, let alone what bits are there. So will let ma nature show me eventually.
Second: Put them in top story of 2 story cage, they couldn't use ramp to get down. So no access to water/food for 8 hours. They survived. I figure they only ate twice daily when on milk.
They are now in the temporary colony, and getting the most out of the colder sunnier days here. Before we hit scorchio! in a week or so.
I'm surprised your rabbits couldn't find their way up and down a ramp to food and water. Maybe they did it while you weren't looking. I have a very large (12 lb) rabbit that had 10 kits and I made a 2nd story for her to escape them. As she was out of condition having been in a rather confining cage before I got her, I put a box for her to jump on to get into the 2nd story. Well, within 12 hours, the kits had figured out how to get up there and they were only about 3-4 weeks old LOL (that's the photo on my id)

About telling them apart - usually the buck will start acting like a boy (sniffing and being very very interested) before he is old enough to breed and you can separate them possibly before he gets to her. I think it's best to let them be at least 6 months old before you breed them, but left on their own, they will breed much earlier than that.

Good luck!

Liz

Oh good! You can have rabbits in the 'anti-rabbit' part of Aussieland! I'd thought all buns were banned or something, but guess domestic ones are okay. I was chatting with a tourist from Australia several years ago who was telling me about how the bunnies there were creating problems and were fenced out or something.

Seven weeks is pretty young! I'll generally not sell any baby bunnies until they're at least eight weeks old and if they are being shipped somewhere, then at least nine weeks old or older.

Once your buck is an adult, it will be easy to tell who he is. They're pretty obvious about being male once they're adult.

Back