Hello everyone! 🇨🇦

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TroubleMakerAcres

Reaction score
Hello! I have a small rabbitry of Rex, NZ/Rex, Champagne X & Angora X. I am moving towards producing more pure Rex, as there seems to be a good demand for them, and I’d like to produce more pure breeds of the others I have, but otherwise I raise rabbits for meat and pelts. 019E783D-2E50-4A6A-8B61-618EF7F59454.jpeg

Attachments

• 48404B78-CA3A-4465-BCFA-B7BAE5FC942E.jpeg
    48404B78-CA3A-4465-BCFA-B7BAE5FC942E.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 4
Howdy! I also raise Rex and are excited to have them. Thanks for sharing a picture of yours!

Offspring from angora crossed with a non-angora won't have the long angora wool. However, all of them will have the recessive gene for it. Which means you may get long wooled offspring several generations down the line. However, the entire angora coat structure may not be there and you may end up with a matted mess.

A lot of folks do breed angora into their meat lines, though, to increase pelt density.

Why are you crossing your Rex with all these other breeds?

Offspring from angora crossed with a non-angora won't have the long angora wool. However, all of them will have the recessive gene for it. Which means you may get long wooled offspring several generations down the line. However, the entire angora coat structure may not be there and you may end up with a matted mess.

A lot of folks do breed angora into their meat lines, though, to increase pelt density.

Why are you crossing your Rex with all these other breeds?
Hello,
When I got started in rabbits I bought a litter of Rex from one seller, a little later I bought a litter of (I was told) Rex/NZ from another seller. My intention was to be able to cross the litters to produce my meat rabbits. Fast forward to one of my Rex does getting eaten in the night. I replaced her with a slightly related Rex, but not a full sibling. Now I was able to produce pure Rex litters, which I have done. I like the Rex and their many colours, and there seems to be more of a demand for them than the crosses, where I am, so I am working on keeping some breeders from my litters going forward. Recently, after having learned more about rabbits and different breeds, I purchased a group of ‘Brun D’argent’ (Champagne/Brun/Angora it seems) kits from a new seller. I’ve been looking for a Champagne for a while, and have recently contacted another seller about getting some kits from her next kindling. The one ‘Angora’ of the bunch was just too much of a fuzzball to pass up when I was picking out the kits….I figured I’d see how I like them and the maintenance required on them as I do spin. Not that I really need another source of fibre with the 18 sheep we have lol55E89BAE-ADBD-40DC-8418-6F05B1548CA9.jpeg

Latest posts

Back