Hello All

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redeemed

Reaction score
Good day from Kentucky

The kiddos and I (dad) are just getting into rabbits. We look forward to learning and moving along. While I’m at it, any tips on finding purebred Rex rabbits? Thanks in advance.

Here’s photos from our project last weekend

Attachments

• EF075B7B-2CD5-4DB3-8922-6B069F70EA43.jpeg
    EF075B7B-2CD5-4DB3-8922-6B069F70EA43.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 1BB43DBF-EA11-46C1-8A1F-F7065928214D.jpeg
    1BB43DBF-EA11-46C1-8A1F-F7065928214D.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 33D408E7-8186-4C18-B9A9-759C269017F2.jpeg
    33D408E7-8186-4C18-B9A9-759C269017F2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 58F3C005-41E7-4C8B-B420-8BBAE8BC7DA3.jpeg
    58F3C005-41E7-4C8B-B420-8BBAE8BC7DA3.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 8E1792CA-9DFF-4C70-B79B-E1F3ABD52541.jpeg
    8E1792CA-9DFF-4C70-B79B-E1F3ABD52541.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Good day from Kentucky

The kiddos and I (dad) are just getting into rabbits. We look forward to learning and moving along. While I’m at it, any tips on finding purebred Rex rabbits? Thanks in advance.

Your Hutch looks great! I started out with one and we have grown to 3 hutches. We closed it all in for winter. I'll have to drape something over the top for summer to block the sun, but they should have really good airflow in the summer for this section anyway.

Attachments

• hutch.jpg
    hutch.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
I’m new to the forum. I’m not sure where to find the resources but I Googled a specific breed and some websites popped up for me to find breeders in my area.

Your Hutch looks great! I started out with one and we have grown to 3 hutches. We closed it all in for winter. I'll have to drape something over the top for summer to block the sun, but they should have really good airflow in the summer for this section anyway.
We’re trying to stay small(😂) we’ll see how that goes. Your setup is nice. Primarily for meat or sales?

there are rex groups on facebook which might provide some leads. talk lots, don't send money until you have firmly set identities, always have ONE empty cage.... you never know when you might need it for a sick rabbit or an unexpected one.

there are rex groups on facebook which might provide some leads. talk lots, don't send money until you have firmly set identities, always have ONE empty cage.... you never know when you might need it for a sick rabbit or an unexpected one.
Thanks for the tip, Sick rabbits happen often?

Depends on your herd and your philosophy of breeding AND the philosophy of the people you get your rabbits from.

I am personally a very hard culler. Look wrong at me (in a health perspective way) and you'll never be bred...and if you are a kit just grown big enough to become food. If I won't breed you that means I won't sell you and that means you become food.

Means that now I have a herd where I can feed them anything and I don't get gut issues. unexpected noise and no one shuts down. etc. etc.

It's HARD bringing in new stock and having to fight against latent illnesses or lack of hardiness. And often means I'm starting from scratch with a new line. Too many people coddle rabbits.

Doesn't matter the issue for me: eyes (nestbox eye included), teeth, breeding, poor momma, mean bucks, bad temperament, etc. If I don't want it in my herd I won't pass it along to yours.

Took me a while to really get a grip on what an old time rabbit breeder told me once... Breed for what you want. If you don't want it, don't expect others to either and cull it out. I've gotten stricter and smarter over the years. :)

Depends on your herd and your philosophy of breeding AND the philosophy of the people you get your rabbits from.

I am personally a very hard culler. Look wrong at me (in a health perspective way) and you'll never be bred...and if you are a kit just grown big enough to become food. If I won't breed you that means I won't sell you and that means you become food.

Means that now I have a herd where I can feed them anything and I don't get gut issues. unexpected noise and no one shuts down. etc. etc.

It's HARD bringing in new stock and having to fight against latent illnesses or lack of hardiness. And often means I'm starting from scratch with a new line. Too many people coddle rabbits.

Doesn't matter the issue for me: eyes (nestbox eye included), teeth, breeding, poor momma, mean bucks, bad temperament, etc. If I don't want it in my herd I won't pass it along to yours.

Took me a while to really get a grip on what an old time rabbit breeder told me once... Breed for what you want. If you don't want it, don't expect others to either and cull it out. I've gotten stricter and smarter over the years. :)
I will keep as close to this as possible. Thanks again

Good day from Kentucky

First I like the name Redeemed ☝️next good job on your hutch do you have a finished photo? We started with New Zealand and Californians and then was gave a large lop ear// rabbit/Californian mix so we have those too. So we have 17 Rabbits in all and building another long hutch with 4 new cages to make some room. God Bless from Kempner Tx

First I like the name Redeemed ☝️next good job on your hutch do you have a finished photo? We started with New Zealand and Californians and then was gave a large lop ear// rabbit/Californian mix so we have those too. So we have 17 Rabbits in all and building another long hutch with 4 new cages to make some room. God Bless from Kempner Tx
I will post photos of the progressed hutch in a few days. We have had a limited amount of time to make progress on the cages. We have one clipped together, still tweaking the access door. We did pick up the feeders. I have looked at several ideas for water supply, yet haven’t decided. And thanks for the comment in regards to the name. I started walking with HIM 34 years ago.

Last edited:
I am wondering if those cages will be big enough for rex. What are the dimensions? I suggest you put the feeders up higher than what you currently have them. You will most likely need some kit saver wire around the bottom six inches.... only on your breeder cages.

24 x 24 x36
Plan to add kit saver ,
I can move feeders if needed. , after looking at countless photos , this looked to be acceptable. Going with water bowls secured to wall panel.

Latest posts

Back