haystache question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Today was day 28 for the first of the young does we're breeding this spring so we put in the nest box. I've seen the haystache pix on RT but had never seen our does last year do that. We'd put in the nest box with hay in it and they'd just tunnel in, pull hair, make a nest and have the kits. This doe took the hay out of the nest box in bunches and put it under her bucket (hung sideways so she can hop up into it but under it is a favorite spot to sit as well) She was nibbling some of it--nothing looking like a nest and no hair pulled. Know it's early yet but not sure if this is a sign that she's not going to nest in the box.Or maybe that she isn't pregnant and that this hay is easier to get a bunch of to haul into her favorite spot than hay in her feeder. Should we put the hay back in the box? Just keep a watch to see what she does next and wait for something to look more like a nest? Keep filling up the box and leave the hay she moved where she put it so she could make a nest there if she needs one and doesn't use the box? If she does make a nest out of the box should we move it into the box?

I keep realizing how much we've learned in the last year and how much we still don't know--thanks for the patience with newbie questions. I'm nervous because it's her first time and still cold (though not so bitter now) and I do want kits and spring and a new beginning

When she starts to build a nest, she will take hay (and whatever else she can find) and stuff it in the box just the way she likes it. If you already put hay in there, she may just root around in it and push it around the way she likes it.

It may be too early for her to build a nest. I understand that some does don't nest until right before they kindle. Good luck!

I'd put the hay back in the box, and try to get the box over to her favorite corner if possible. Unless it's her potty. Rabbits do not gather up and move hay for non-nesting reasons. Sometimes they may empty a box and then return the hay back the way THEY want it to be, or start nesting and just decide to stop, but she wouldn't have filled her mouth with hay just to take it to her favorite spot for her own eating convenience.

She did eat most of that hay. We put more in the nest box, this morning she had taken that out, still nothing looking like a nest. For now we're leaving the hay she's scattered and putting more in the nest box--someone earlier had suggested covering the floor of the cage with hay for some protection if she had them out of the box. Still hoping when we get to day 31--Tuesday--she'll use the box and its hay for a nest. She has plenty of hay in her feeder all the time and we've been giving her extra feed even though she is in good condition--don't want to get her fat if she didn't take and we have to rebreed her.

She's started pulling fur--not making a nest in the box or anywhere else. Eating lots of hay and not much else. We put the fur she'd pulled into the nest box along with more hay shaped into a sort of nest. Does that sound right? should I worry that she's not interested in her other food? Sorry for asking so many questions.

Lots of does go off their feed a day or so before kindling..so don't worry about that...
Seems like you are doing all you can to let her know where she is supposed to be birthing..so just keep it up... :)

Can't wait to see this behavior in person:). Is tossing hay and scattering it considered a part of "hay stashing"?

I have a couple that will bulldoze the hay and some that will stomp it through the floor wire...I have one doe who likes to get in her nest box and fluff the hay up over her head, she makes tunnel nests so i figure that is just part of it.. :?: all of that stops though when the serious hay stashing begins. then its build the nest, pull the fur and have the kits...It is rather funny to watch though.. :lol:

macksmom98":gf53chtg said:
Can't wait to see this behavior in person:). Is tossing hay and scattering it considered a part of "hay stashing"?

Hmmm I'm not sure. I think all bunnies do that to some degree. My buck does it. Lol But maybe if it's new behavior for her, it could be a sign?

Not sure what to do now except wait. She's pulled some fur and put it and some hay under her hanging bucket, has stopped taking hay out of the nest box and is sitting on top of the nest box instead of in her favorite under bucket spot. We put the fur and hay into the nest box once and she took it out again. Zass suggested putting the nest box under the bucket. Two problems--there isn't enough space to put it there without moving the bucket. And I thought it wasn't a good idea to have the doe just hanging out in the nest box--that it could be hard to keep it clean for kindling. So for now I'm trying to be patient about waiting and to keep an eye on her without making her nervous. Our goats like to have me or my daughter stay with them when their kidding but I get the feeling the rabbits would rather be left alone.

Thanks to all for sharing your experience. last year when we were just starting it was easier because the does were experienced--and the first time they both kindled we had a group of college students staying with us for the week and I didn't have time to worry--and it was warmer.

At this point it might be a good idea to move the bucket and put her nest where she wants it instead of risking kindling on the wire.

Don't worry. MOST meat type does do just fine their first time.
I think it's the dwarf breeds that tend to really struggle.

At least, it's warmed up a little, right?

If it isn't one of my favorite laid back-girls (Like Mucky, who prefers to kindle in the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner) than I expect them to kindle around 4 or 5 am.

Zass":25txx7s4 said:
If it isn't one of my favorite laid back-girls (Like Mucky, who prefers to kindle in the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner) than I expect them to kindle around 4 or 5 am.

:lol: Mucky is a trip. :D

No kits yet. She's stopped carrying hay around, still pulling fur. Has pushed her resting slate under the bucket and has a pile of fur on it. Still a bit off her feed. At least it's warmer--was above freezing most of the day and not too cold tonight. Hope there will be kits soon--tomorrow is day 31.

Rainey":261b9u15 said:
Zass suggested putting the nest box under the bucket. Two problems--there isn't enough space to put it there without moving the bucket.

I notice that my does don't potty under their bunny buckets- they use the opposite side for their potty corner. Your doe probably does the same, and doesn't want to have her nest in the "bathroom". ;)

When I put the nestbox in, I move the bucket to the other side of the cage (or take it out until the kits are born) and place the nest where the bucket was.

Just saw Berwick, the second of our young does to be bred, with a haystache. She wouldn't normally get her nest box for another week--only 21 days since being bred today. (And I don't have any question about when she was bred--no common areas, no cages close enough for through the wire breeding) My question is--do I put the nest box in early or wait the week? I really want to get this right after losing the last litter, seeing everyone's cute kits photos and having no popples here. :(

You can put it in for her if you want. Just make sure she doesn't start using it as a bed or a bathroom- remove it if she does so she doesn't form bad habits.

Rainey":103dmm70 said:
I really want to get this right after losing the last litter, seeing everyone's cute kits photos and having no popples here. :(

Aww. :encourage: Don't worry, I'm sure you will have some popples of your own to play with soon. :clover:

Latest posts

Back