haystache ? answered

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The doe you've been helping me about kindled just before noon. She had them on fur she'd pulled and piled on her sitting rock, not in the nest box. But we got to them before they'd gotten cold (real heat wave here, over 40 F!) Before we've left the doe and kits alone for the first 24 hours or so but this time we knew we had to get them somewhere warmer. As soon as we opened the cage she got back in that corner over the kits so had to put her in another cage because she started scrabbling around when we tried to pick her up. No offer to bite though and none of the kits injured.
Took them inside, warmed the couple that were chilled, shaped a hollow in the nest box hay and put the pulled fur in, put the kits in and more fur on top, took the box back out to mama. Checked an hour later to make sure she hadn't taken them out of the box and to give her some willow and raspberry dried last summer.
Eight kits, not all black like last year. Picture below (if it works--helped by son who's smarter than me)

image.php

Nice!! They look all wrinkly, she may not have fed them yet. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they get fat bellies tomorrow :)

Syberchick70":1gnv1vpc said:
Nice!! They look all wrinkly, she may not have fed them yet. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they get fat bellies tomorrow :)

I knew she hadn't had time to feed them because we picked them up so soon, not wanting to leave them to get chilled out of the nest. I thought it best to leave them alone now until tomorrow as long as she leaves them in the nest, and to check then if they've been fed. Does that sound right?

Zass":jdtd7ird said:
It can take a couple days for milk to come in, so don't worry too much if they are not fed right away. You will know if things go past the safe zone.

Thanks, Zass, I wouldn't have known that because with the experienced does we started with we didn't check the kits for a day or so. When should I check these?--born just before noon today and brought inside briefly to get warm and arrange nest in box. The doe is staying next to but not in the nest box and I can see motion in the fur pile. Don't want to interfere too much nor leave it too long. Trying not to worry and learning a lot.
Until this round of breeding began I'd never heard any of our rabbits vocalize. But today just after she kindled when we were trying to get the kits picked up to go into the nest box and the doe jumped onto the pile, we heard a squeal or screech. And the second doe we bred, just last week, made what I assume you all mean by a growl at the buck when we tried her a second time because there had only been one breeding.

Rainey":2adnw53a said:
But today just after she kindled when we were trying to get the kits picked up to go into the nest box and the doe jumped onto the pile, we heard a squeal or screech.

Ack!! Are the kits ok? Sounds like she stomped on one! :(

I check my babies once a day, as part of my feeding routine. It helps to bring the doe a treat to distract her. Maybe she will even associate you checking the nest with something good. :)

Don't worry about the one who growled. It's common for them to refuse a second breeding for some reason or another. Most breeders seem to see it as a sign that the probably took.

Use parsley as a treat / distraction it helps bring in the milk too. Congratulations on the litter..I check mine twice a day at least....but I am nosey... :p

katiebear":27j3nfab said:
Use parsley as a treat / distraction it helps bring in the milk too. Congratulations on the litter..I check mine twice a day at least....but I am nosey... :p

I have stinging nettle that we dried last summer to give her to help with milk. Will give her some tomorrow. Last summer I gave fresh parsley but the herb garden is still under a couple feet of snow.

Joanna just checked the kits, all warm and plump, and mama is eating everything offered and not seeming to mind our checking on the kits.

Thanks to all for advice and encouragement

That's great they're doing so well! :D

For the pic, you want to go to the image's page, which you did, and then you want to scroll below the picture and copy the code next to "Image-URL". Then come back to your post in the editor and click the "Img" button above the text box. Paste the code you copied between the

i have to change the last little bit of the image too raw=1 for the image to show up

20150306_212148.jpg

so i delete the dl=0 on the end and make it raw=1 this is from drop box or a storage file so it becomes

20150306_212148.jpg

-- Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:42 am --

Latest posts

Back