Hay???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakville Shooter

Reaction score
I am currently feeding commercial pellets (18%, that is what the local Southern States has) once a day with alfalfa hay free choice in the hay rack (it is what I have.)

I have read lots of posts here that seem to prefer grass hay to alfalfa. So, if you had a choice of fescue or orchard grass, which would you prefer/recommend, and why? There is a cost difference, but for now, cost is not a factor. Both are cheaper than the alfalfa, and I want to know strictly from a nutrition aspect.

Thanks.
Bob<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39 am __________<br /><br />If if makes any difference, I am raising primarily for meat.

Bob,
I would choose a Grass-hay.
As long as you are feeding an 18% Pelleted Alfalfa based rabbit feed
the Alfalfa hay is unnecessary. The Grass-hay will supply
the long-fiber which is so necessary to the proper operation
of the Rabbits hindgut. I feed grass-hay at least three if not more times per week
in a Hay-rack. NEVER toss hay on the cage floor as the rabbits may urinate and defecate
on it creating a great environment for intestinal infection.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Whatever is available to you
and your rabbits will eat.
I suppose it's a personal choice on the Rabbits part. :laugh:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

The purpose behind hay is to add fiber, and to give the rabbits something to do with their time. (a good alfalfa hay will also add protein). I buy whatever hay I can find at the lowest price, as long as it's not moldy or just sticks. (although they do seem to LOVE those haysticks...I've got one rabbit that JUST eats the heavy sticklike stuff and leaves all the nice leafy grass pieces :roll: )

Try both, see which you like better :)

I use orchard grass, since that is what I can find. If you find fescue, there seems to be a lot of clover and weeds in it.

With alfalfa and pellets, the problem you run into is the amount of calcium. Too much can cause kidney stones.

Latest posts

Back