Hay storage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliehooks

Reaction score
How is everyone storing hay? I here cat crap and pee isn't good on the hay do I use some kind of storage bin or make one?

I'm told (today, so I haven't checked it out) that you can buy compressed hay and store it in a large plastic trash bin. The lady who told me this is a breeder. (I'm waiting on some kits from her.) She says it lasts forever. 😉
What do you mean compressed hay? Like silage? Plastic wrapped?

What do you mean compressed hay? Like silage? Plastic wrapped?
I'm not sure. Not silage, though. I'm not clear on whether non-ruminants should eat silage. (I've read that chickens can get botulism from eating it.)

I haven't been to town since I spoke to her a day or two ago. I would expect it to be wrapped in plastic. She said they carry it at Fleet Farm. If you have one of those (or similar) in your area, you might ask there. That's what I'm planning to do.

I think they might be referring to hay cubes. But they do have a shelf life...
She was definitely talking about a bale, not cubes. I've gotten compressed straw (before I learned where to buy it in bales--we're not in a grain farming area, so it's not as easy to source here as in other places--nor as cheap.) 😳 I assume it's like the straw; very heavy, LOTS of straw in that teeny tiny bale.

Latest posts

Back