HAY RACK

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaryAnn,

I made these out of extra cage wire and some plastic wire protectors. I put them outside the cages, but you could leave off the plastic and put them inside....

Hay rackc.jpg

Hay rackb.jpg

View attachment 2

Attachments

• Hay rack.jpg
    Hay rack.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3,332
I don't have pics but I just attached some long skinny plastic baskets that you can get from the dollar store with zip ties onto the inside. My bunnies don't chew on them so it works for me but maybe not for all bunnies. I attach it over their litter boxes.

Since we're on the subject of hayracks, I have a question. I have the commercial rack made out of metal. I put alfalfa hay in it, but my rabbit isn't pulling hay through the wire. She's only eating the hay I put in on the floor. I try to insert it so that some sticks through the wire, easy for her to get, but once she's eaten the stuff that is easy to get at, she doesn't appear to "work at" getting any more. What's the trick you use?

Make her work for all of it. She will get the idea. If not after a few days I guess you have a stubborn bunny.<br /><br />__________ Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:48 pm __________<br /><br />I have one like that and I call her my ninny. She is not the brightest bulb in the box but she is a good mom and I hope to keep her. I have had to show her how to use the nestbox several dozen times,where the water comes from because she forgot, get hay from the hay rack........etc. I think mom dropped her when she was young.
Honestly she really did forget how to use the water bottle. She was biting on the side of it. I stuck my finger in there and depressed the little plunger and the she went OH and used it. I have a ball water bottle in there now as a back up. :stars:

Yeah, I had one that refused to use the hay rack. I just kept putting fresh hay in there every 3rd or 4th day and she eventually gave in and one morning all the hay was gone :lol:

I used the leftover wire I had from making cage doors. If you have any saved from some cages you made in the past, you can make use of these small pieces for hay racks.

Attachments

• HAY RACK.jpg
    HAY RACK.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 3,261
I cut out the bottom 2 corners, then all of the pieces sticking out (except a few to bend and use for securing it to cage so that you can change its location if need be). Then I folded up the bottom 2 squares and folded 2 squares on both sides (I know, I didn't draw it quite right). I hope you get the idea. If you have big enough squares, the rack can be placed on inside of cage. If the squares are too small, then either cut a few of them bigger, or put hay rack on outside of cage.<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:03 pm __________<br /><br />OH! lol...Well I am glad that he could help you. My father helps me when the wire is too thick for me to cut. He uses his grinder and gets a nice close and smooth cut. Otherwise, I build the cages, etc.

Here's one I just made up
just a simple peice of 1x8 pine about 10" long cut at a 30 deg. angle on the mitre saw and rejoined, I used a solid rack because it's a bummer when all of your alfalfa leaf winds up on the floor
IMG_1901.jpg

second pic is a leftover peice of cage wire stapled to the bottom for an easy hook up to the cage itself

IMG_1902.jpg

third pic is General Sterling Price checking out the new hay rack

IMG_1903.jpg

This thread is killing me! :explode: I designed a hay rack with some help from my RT friends, and one of my New Year's Resolutions was to get it into production. I took the plans to a friend's machine shop to have a prototype made on JANUARY 3RD, and due to unforeseen circumstances, it is still not done! :(

I am a habitual procrastinator, and was so proud that I jumped right on it- but no... the Universe is against me on this one. <Sigh.>

Back