Hay Cubes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a single rabbit, I am thinking it would be one every couple days or so. Certain ones eat them slower than that. I do occasionally give loose hay as well, but not much at all.

For a single rabbit, I am thinking it would be one every couple days or so. Certain ones eat them slower than that. I do occasionally give loose hay as well, but not much at all.
Wow! Really? That’s it? LOL One cube?
Maybe I’m imagining these cubes to be smaller than they are. 😂

I fed hay cubes last summer instead of loose hay (sick of the mess LOL). The older rabbits (my breeders) didn't care for them and barely touched them. I offered them only one a day because 1) they weren't finishing more, 2) the cubes were compressed using molasses and I didn't want them to get too many sugars, and 3) the cubes were a blend of timothy and alfalfa and I didn't want to overload them with calcium.

The young rabbits, on the other hand, went absolutely bonkers for them. Had about 20 fryers living together and fed them a trayful a day. Maybe around 1.5 cubes each? They also got pellets, which is also made from hay, and the grass for grazing. If they didn't have those extra foods, I would feed a lot more. I just didn't want them to get fat and bloated. They would have gladly eaten more had I offered. Calcium and sugars were less of a concern seeing how they are meat rabbits, so long-term effects of sugars and calcium wouldn't matter.

I really liked them for the lack of waste and how hard they were for chewing. Fibre was a concern, but they realistically weren't eating much more daily than loose hay in terms of weight. And everyone got forage and other fibrous foods anyways. Next time, I am going to be mindful and get one without molasses and no alfalfa. Something for you to consider as well when you are shopping.

Wow! Really? That’s it? LOL One cube?
Maybe I’m imagining these cubes to be smaller than they are. 😂
Good point- hay cube size could vary depending on brand and location! Mine are 1.25x2.5" in size. I really just make sure they always have them in the cage, so I don't know how fast the kits go through them. Seeing how expanded they become when they get wet is amazing. There is a ton of hay in each cube!

I fed hay cubes last summer instead of loose hay (sick of the mess LOL). The older rabbits (my breeders) didn't care for them and barely touched them. I offered them only one a day because 1) they weren't finishing more, 2) the cubes were compressed using molasses and I didn't want them to get too many sugars, and 3) the cubes were a blend of timothy and alfalfa and I didn't want to overload them with calcium.

The young rabbits, on the other hand, went absolutely bonkers for them. Had about 20 fryers living together and fed them a trayful a day. Maybe around 1.5 cubes each? They also got pellets, which is also made from hay, and the grass for grazing. If they didn't have those extra foods, I would feed a lot more. I just didn't want them to get fat and bloated. They would have gladly eaten more had I offered. Calcium and sugars were less of a concern seeing how they are meat rabbits, so long-term effects of sugars and calcium wouldn't matter.

I really liked them for the lack of waste and how hard they were for chewing. Fibre was a concern, but they realistically weren't eating much more daily than loose hay in terms of weight. And everyone got forage and other fibrous foods anyways. Next time, I am going to be mindful and get one without molasses and no alfalfa. Something for you to consider as well when you are shopping.
Thanks so much for the info! That’s exactly why I want to do cubes, less waste/mess. And not having to store hay bales.

I guess I will just have to see how much they finish! I’m guessing there is more hay in one cube than I think. Lol!

I plan on feeding without pellets, so the alfalfa isn’t too much of a concern for me, since that will be the only way they will get it. I sourced some cubes I can get as just Timothy, just alfalfa or a mix of both and they are compressed with bentonite clay, so, no sugars! I’m thinking I’ll go for the mix cubes. Maybe one bag of plain Timothy for when I transition them off the pellets they will come on. Then with the fodder they will eat too, and some forage, I think they will have plenty of fibre!

Make sure you are monitoring the urine when feeding alfalfa to the older rabbits. If there is sandy calcium debris, you'll need to cut back the alfalfa. Younger rabbits can tolerate it better, and if they are meat rabbits then it's not as detrimental. But yeah, that sounds like a good plan for you! It sure is a loooot of hay packed into the little cubes! Measure by weight or plop one into water like MuddyFarms mentioned. You'll be astounded! Mine were also roughly the same size they mentioned as well.

Make sure you are monitoring the urine when feeding alfalfa to the older rabbits. If there is sandy calcium debris, you'll need to cut back the alfalfa. Younger rabbits can tolerate it better, and if they are meat rabbits then it's not as detrimental. But yeah, that sounds like a good plan for you! It sure is a loooot of hay packed into the little cubes! Measure by weight or plop one into water like MuddyFarms mentioned. You'll be astounded! Mine were also roughly the same size they mentioned as well.
I’m definitely super curious now and may hydrate one to see how much it is! 😂

Hi, new here....
Since these expand so much, is this a problem for the rabbits? Especially the young ones? I am also looking at getting the cubes. I gave some to a couple rabbits a month or so ago, but have not had a chance to get more yet. I would love the less mess.
Thanks, Steve

Hi, new here....
Since these expand so much, is this a problem for the rabbits? Especially the young ones? I am also looking at getting the cubes. I gave some to a couple rabbits a month or so ago, but have not had a chance to get more yet. I would love the less mess.
Thanks, Steve

Welcome to Rabbit Talk!

Don't worry about it expanding inside of the rabbits' stomachs. They will chew at them both breaking down the hay into smaller pieces, and mixing with the saliva to rehydrate prior to ingesting. We fed them all last summer and no exploded bunny tummies here!

What brands do you guys use? Intrigued as I didn't realize this was an option other than treats...

Hi, new here....
Thanks, Steve

It seems like it would be very similar to how the pellets would do in their gut... the only times that Standlee recommends soaking hay cubes are:

• "For horses that have dental problems or horses that aggressively consume their feed, Standlee Premium Products cubes and pellets are recommended to be fed wet (2:1 - water to pellet/cube ratio), soaked in water for 30 minutes or until properly softened
  • If feeding pellets or cubes for the first time, make sure they are soaked to prevent rapid consumption, which could lead to choke" Why Feed Forage Pellets or Cubes? Nutritional Paper | Standlee Forage
Lots of times people are concerned that they will expand too much in a horse, as well, so they soak them. But usually the risk is said to be the horse choking on them, when they try to eat them whole and too fast. For rabbits, though, I don't think I would soak them. They like to chew them apart and get the little pieces of it to eat. I have not seen any of them like to eat them wet. I have not had any issues with feeding the hay cubes, and I am very pleased with the growth rates in my rabbits, as well. I put them in the nest boxes for kits to start nibbling on when they are around 10 days old, and they always have access to them after that. They are a favorite with almost all my rabbits, for which I have been very grateful!

Back