Harlequin Genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Color genetics has always been fascinating to me. It’s one of the reasons I raise rabbits. I raise standard Rex and have had most of the possible colors, except sable and Californian. So I know that my rabbits carry all the major alleles: [A at a B b C c D d E ej] except chd and ch and ED or ES.
The expression of the ej allele is the most confusing to me. I got a Harlequin buck, even though harlequin is not a recognized variety in Rex, so that I could have tri color rabbits. I started by breeding the buck to broken red does. This has given me: red, broken red, tricolor, and harlequin. The genotype in the first few generations has been eje but I may have some that are ejej by now since I have bred harlequin to tri color that is a possibility. I also have the brown gene and dilute in some of them.
Since harlequin is not recognized in Rex there is no standard for what they “should” look like and I would still like to understand what causes the wide variation in the rabbits that obviously carry ej. Some are clearly black/orange, but others have much less black, sometimes only a very little darkness here and there and they almost look like they are red with small patches of “smut” but I am sure they carry ej. I don’t know if that’s due to them being dilute, dd, or chocolate, bb, or if there are other modifiers that are involved.
Would love to hear what others know about the variations in ej expression.
The following pix are some of the ej carrying kits I have had over the last year.
Emmet @ 8 weeks.JPG
Black Orange Harlequin.jpg
5FD0.JPG
5LT6.JPG
5SO2.JPG

Along with du (dutch, carried by the harlequin breed) and En(broken) I also suspect the vienna gene may also have an affect on how the coat pattern manifests, perhaps having an effect similar to du.

I realize that isn't what you asked for. :oops:

Here is a layout of my Harlequin-breed litters. Even with show bred lines, there is a TON of variation to the markings. http://www.weebly.com/editor/main.php

Zass":1uzjezr3 said:
Along with du (dutch, carried by the harlequin breed) and En(broken) I also suspect the vienna gene may also have an affect on how the coat pattern manifests, perhaps having an effect similar to du.

I realize that isn't what you asked for. :oops:

I know that the En gene is what is needed to get broken and results in tri color when paired with at least 1 copy of ej.

I would be surprised if the du gene is involved in the Rex version of harlequin. I would hate to be injecting that into my herd without realizing it

Sorry, had to fix the link. :) The du gene may help the pattern in purebred harlis to appear in more patches instead of as a brindled coat, like is seen with most rex.
http://magpiesyndrome.weebly.com/past-litters.html
The broken gene often causes the darker color to manifest as spotting instead of brindling or banding.

I don't think the du gene would be very desirable in rex.
History shows that harlequin breeders have been trying to get rid of it for a LONG time. :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:59 am __________ <br /><br /> The brindling on the chocolate is a lot harder to see. Even with the more solid markings in mine, the chocolate was hard to get on camera. I only got a few good pics out of dozens.

Attachments

• DSCN1159.JPG
    DSCN1159.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 431
I am sure there are other modifiers that dictate how much dark brindling will appear but I don't even try to figure it out :mrgreen:

I do know that homozygous harlequins (ej ej) are not darker or more brindled that those with a single copy (ej e) and that dilute has no effect on brindling, or at least not in my herd ;)

Back