Half Pedigree Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen rabbits posted with 1/2 pedigrees, which obviously means one parent was pedi'd. Does this make the rabbit more valuable to someone's breeding program, even though they must now breed three more generations to make it's offspring full pedi'd?

What are the value of 1/2 pedigreed other than knowing it's parentage? For instance, my MR/NZR cross, Heaven, would be a half pedigree on both sides, yes? One for her MR heritage (father was pedi'd) and one for her mother's NZR (who was pedi'd)?

1/2 pedigree is usually only offered for purebred rabbits. It gives a breeder some pedigree info to work with, and at least half the lines their rabbits came from. Not ideal, but a pedigree has to start somewhere, and some is better than none.

I can't see any point in offering partial pedigrees for mutts, since they are highly unlikely to ever produce show quality rabbits of any breed.

I agree with Zass.
A pedigree is nothing more than a sheet of paper documenting the rabbit's family tree.
To some people, it isn't worth the paper it is printed on. To people in the show world, it can mean night and day difference. It would tell what lines they would be introducing into their current lines.
If it could be done, you could breed a chipmunk to a goldfish and draw out a pedigree to the offspring, that that doesn't change the value of it.
Unless it is purebred, the pedigree is worthless. If you bred a Rex to a mini lop, and had one kit that looked 100% mini lop, and then sold it with a half pedigree, the buyer would assume that since you are selling a mini lop with a partial pedigree, that it is full blood mini lop and you just don't have a per for one of the parents.
It would be deceptive and, in my mind, fraudulent to do that.

Keep in mind too a half or partial pedigree can mean it is missing weights, colors, or whole rabbit block information...it does not mean it is missing one side of the family only. If it is missing a single weight, it is not a full pedigree and is only a partial/half pedigree. Ask if interested in such a rabbit and even with ones listed as full pedigree ASK to be sure they have all the required information (all weights, colors, and rabbit name with prefix for all three generations worth of rabbits). I cannot tell you how many times I purchased rabbits as full pedigreed stock only to be disappointed that there was a weight missing or several weights missing (or one ear number...one piece of missing information still makes it only a partial/half pedigree). As already said, piece of paper, only worth as much as one put's into it really however one's with pedigrees or even partial tend to sell easier and for a bit more since don't have to put that extra 1.5 yrs into one (if not longer for larger breeds; timeline is IF every thing goes ideally and have offspring every 5/6 month mark to boot).

There are weights missing on some of the rabbits in my rabbit pedigrees... I didn't know that was an issue.
It might be possible to look the information up if the rabbits are registered?

For my non- pedigreed lines, I've made up a 'Certificate of Birth' for the bunnies. It's cute.

View attachment Certificate of Birth.doc

Susie570":3nh2w9tf said:
There are weights missing on some of the rabbits in my rabbit pedigrees... I didn't know that was an issue.
It might be possible to look the information up if the rabbits are registered?

For my non- pedigreed lines, I've made up a 'Certificate of Birth' for the bunnies. It's cute.

Oh, that's a cute idea for pets. :)

I do Certs of Birth also.
So any pedigree that is missing any information in the fields makes it a half pedi?
When are weights recorded for pedi's? Do they have to be arba recorded or at home? <br /><br /> -- Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:05 pm -- <br /><br /> I do Certs of Birth also.
So any pedigree that is missing any information in the fields makes it a half pedi?
When are weights recorded for pedi's? Do they have to be arba recorded or at home?

I've never heard that weight not being recorded makes a pedigree incomplete.

So, since you are not supposed to alter a pedigree; if you buy a rabbit at 8 weeks old and the seller lists the weight at, say 5#. Now you keep the rabbit for a year and resell it with the original pedigree, but now the rabbit weighs 6 1/2#, do you alter the pedigree or sell a rabbit with a pedigree that has inaccurate information?

Half pedigree to me is the same as a partial, others may consider it differently.

I have never known a seller to mark the weight of a junior since weights are recorded only at senior age (6 months/8 months). Weights flux. I've found they can be different on the same rabbit and be accurate because of that; on a litter/show prime/old age....all those weights will differ a bit and some can differ quite a bit. Adding or updating a weight is not altering the pedigree (see further below); alteration of a pedigree means you are changing the breeder prefix, the name of the rabbit, changing the ear number to yours or some other number that what was originally on there, changing the breed name, changing the color, or such.

Weights for all 3 generations are part of the requirements for registry and getting a GC certificate in turn. If a register checks your rabbit and you are missing any of the information needed for the three generations, they will refuse to register because it is incomplete. Many will simply tell you to look for the information or see about getting an educated guess for it. This is not the same as information being back where the rabbit is registered; a registered rabbit has all the need be information on file for 3 generations already and the register won't have an issue with that. For example, you go to register Fluffy and Fluffy's GS is registered but there is no weights for him or those rabbits behind them. That is OK because they are already on record and will be filled in at the main office once the papers are sent in.

-- Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:44 pm --

DBA":2iqbn0an said:
I've never heard that weight not being recorded makes a pedigree incomplete.

So, since you are not supposed to alter a pedigree; if you buy a rabbit at 8 weeks old and the seller lists the weight at, say 5#. Now you keep the rabbit for a year and resell it with the original pedigree, but now the rabbit weighs 6 1/2#, do you alter the pedigree or sell a rabbit with a pedigree that has inaccurate information?

As far as modifying the original itself, no. You would want to add a note to the original or do a new print with current weight and include the original. It would not be acceptable in my opinion to cross or white out the original breeder's weight even if not accurate currently and put a new weight unless OK'd through the OB. However, I know of people that do, did, and have no problem or see an issue with doing just that. <br /><br /> -- Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:58 pm -- <br /><br /> Some times you can search and look as well as ask people to find missing information. Some times, it just can't be found. Weights are done at home in pounds and ounces. The ARBA writes weights in pounds and ounces format. For example if you have a rabbit that is three pounds and twelve ounces an expected write out on a pedigree that should be universal is 3#12 OR 3.12 only. Other forms can be found, but its what the ARBA prefers and what registers/certificates use. There is often confusion with the 3.12 as some will try to convert it over which is not accurate (example rabbit that is 3.20 is not acceptable writing even though the fraction 1/5 converts to .20 for 3 pounds and about 3 ounces; it should be 3.03 or 3#3 instead). The only time the ARBA actually weighs any thing is when a judge checks a weight to be sure it is within SOP limits or the register is confirming the rabbit is within limits for registration.

I think I got it all lol. I've been bouncing around a bit. All of this is in the Standard of Perfection by the way and on the ARBA website :) Breed specific limitations for weights and classes are also listed there along with the list of general DQs. Some/vast majority is being ethical, who's going to know Joe's No Name didnt' have a weight before you wrote it in if you can't find it for example...

Latest posts

Back