Guinea Pig Breeding, when do they stop?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piper

Reaction score
Since it will be cooler, by the time the babies would be outside, I decided to try breeding.
They got to meet, through the wire yesterday, but this is the first time that they have been in the same cage.
It is also the first time that he has been with a female.
She is not lifting but he is insistent, and is not leaving her alone. I have an option on 4 more females (that I can pick up at any time) and wanted to have these two and the other four in a colony. Worried that if he does no calm down, that he is going to be neutered (by her) before the night is out.
Should I take them apart, or is this normal for guinea pigs? They are humming, vibrating but no teeth clicking.

they will be fine. colony raising guinea pigs is fairly easy. and I find the bigger the bunch the better they are. if you leave him in with her all the time she will pup about 60 days after her previous litter. i remove the boar generally by September here to give the sows a break from pupping/pregnancy over the cold months.

If he was a rooster, I would have to have a hen saddle for her. After going at it all night, he has finally settled down. They were in my bedroom (noisy) and I did not sleep good last night. This is how I feel right now :sleepwalk:
Will see if I can pick up those females today, if I think I can drive! :sleepwalk: :sleepwalk: :sleepwalk:

Guinea pig sows do not harm boars like rabbit does. They might pull some fur off your boars to make them squeak and go away which is undesirable when showing long haired pigs but it rarely leads to any broken skin. The only injuries between pigs that I've ever seen were boar to boar with sows present and it led to mostly an eye injury with a small cut on the shoulder. Otherwise they just pull on each others' fur, mount each other, and make squealing noises about it. This is probably because guinea pigs are more social and closely knit than rabbits in a colony and guinea pigs only come in to heat for a short time every 16 days instead of being nearly constantly ready to breed. They hate to be alone or separated but are only interested in breeding for about 1 out of 16 days so their interactions are a bit more laid back. They do make a ton of noise about everything though. They are bricks with unmovable ears and short legs. The only communication they have is noise. After awhile you can pick up a guinea pig conversation going on a room away and know what they are saying.

akane":2atvr4dx said:
After awhile you can pick up a guinea pig conversation going on a room away and know what they are saying.
I have had fun having her in my bedroom, for the last month. He had been outside, till last night. When I put the two togeather, he has """one""" thing on his mind, and is still like that today. I may have to seperate them, so he does not rub himself raw. Even if he does not connect, that poor guy's ....
I do have to say that he is getting a lot of exercise, running around the cage after her and when she is in the house, he runs around the house. Think of a horizontal running wheel, with vocals. :treadmill:

Every time you separate them they will just pick up where they left off and be even worse. If you want him to chill you'll have to let him wear himself out and her get frustrated enough to tell him no a little more forcefully. Otherwise every time they see each other he'll just go on a rampage again. You can actually cause a fight between animals that would have gotten along by not letting them settle things completely and separating them repeatedly.

:sleepwalk:
I have stayed in and up all day, but since I did not hear teeth chattering, I have left them together. Getting ready to take them outside, to the larger cage, for the evening. I was going to do that last night, but was afraid to do so.
Just looked at them and I think I will wait, until they wake up. :-D

I and they, Thank You, for the hand / paw holding...

Latest posts

Back